HDS Light Video review

Snareman

Enlightened
I've had my HDS Rotary light for probably 8 months now and finally got around to making a video review of it. I used to not understand what all the hype about these lights were but now I "get it". All of the thought that Henry put into these lights is just amazing!

I did 2 versions. A rather long and super detailed video with more of the theory that went into the lights and a shorter, more concise one (although it was hard being concise with everything that this light has!)

Long version

Short Version

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Snareman, your video reviews are easily the best on CPF!

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Watched the short version, you stated at the 6 minute mark about the light doing a factory reset if the battery is removed for more then a minute. There is actually a second step to the factory reset so simply removing the battery won't change your settings. Good video though, thanks. BTW, there seems to be a visible 'donut' in the beam when you shined it on the table. At what point does it diminish? My 170 has one but it's only visible when the light is close, like about an inch or less.

Dubois

Enlightened
Excellent video review of a great, but unobtainable, light. Thanks.

Snareman

Enlightened
Watched the short version, you stated at the 6 minute mark about the light doing a factory reset if the battery is removed for more then a minute. There is actually a second step to the factory reset so simply removing the battery won't change your settings. Good video though, thanks. BTW, there seems to be a visible 'donut' in the beam when you shined it on the table. At what point does it diminish? My 170 has one but it's only visible when the light is close, like about an inch or less.

Ah, you're correct. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll have to annotate the vid. My brain hurt so much after programing it the first time around that when I went and re-read the book before I did the vid I didn't make it down past that first step.

I see the donut you're talking about. When I hold it about 1-2" from the table its there, but when I back up to around 4" it seems to disappear.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Understandable, that light has lots of features and the manual has a lot of information. I programed and reprogramed mine so many times that I don't need the manual anymore, it's all memorized. Fun little light!

Snareman

Enlightened
Understandable, that light has lots of features and the manual has a lot of information. I programed and reprogramed mine so many times that I don't need the manual anymore, it's all memorized. Fun little light!

I on the other hand did it the one time, fried my brain, and hoped to never have to do it again. Hence my rush to get the head back on. :grin2:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just remember that you don't have to rush to put the head back on. Leaving the head separate from the body for more than a minute is not going to change any settings you did. The only difference is after one minute and when you screw the head back on, it is going to start testing the battery to determine if it is a Li-Ion or CR123 in there and if the battery has sufficient juice left.

Another thing I would like to point out. The crenellations on the head is known as mild crenellations. Only there to allow users to know if their light is on when placed bezel down. The crenellations are not aggressive enough for use in defence purpose and was never intended for that scenario.

Great video overall.

Snareman

Enlightened
Just remember that you don't have to rush to put the head back on. Leaving the head separate from the body for more than a minute is not going to change any settings you did. The only difference is after one minute and when you screw the head back on, it is going to start testing the battery to determine if it is a Li-Ion or CR123 in there and if the battery has sufficient juice left.

Another thing I would like to point out. The crenellations on the head is known as mild crenellations. Only there to allow users to know if their light is on when placed bezel down. The crenellations are not aggressive enough for use in defence purpose and was never intended for that scenario.

Great video overall.

Thanks.

Yea, see above. My brain was too fried from the first time I programmed it and when I re-read the manual before making the vid I didn't get far enough down that process.

The crenelation is fairly mild, I agree. I still think it could be used to strike if necessary, not that I ever think I'd ever have to use it for that realistically, but still better than nothing I suppose. Probably will be more useful for just seeing if its on.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great video overall.

Well, not unless you're Jason Bourne! ... or that bald guy in outer space who did that thing with a tin cup? When he picked up the paper clip, everybody split! Ok, back to the video!

Last edited:

Johnbeck180

Enlightened
Great review!!! Info about the light was great, By far my most used lights. You said in your review when people get an HDS light they usually order more, lol!! that's so true. I have two HDS lights, have a hi cri on order from Henry, and want to get a 140e and a 200 rotary to finish out my E series collection ( yeah the HDS bug bit me good). Once again great review I'll be looking for other reviews you do. Thanks.

Snareman

Enlightened
Great review!!! Info about the light was great, By far my most used lights. You said in your review when people get an HDS light they usually order more, lol!! that's so true. I have two HDS lights, have a hi cri on order from Henry, and want to get a 140e and a 200 rotary to finish out my E series collection ( yeah the HDS bug bit me good). Once again great review I'll be looking for other reviews you do. Thanks.

Thanks. I'd like to get an HCRI as well if they ever get back in stock somewhere. I guess I don't want to join the 6 month waiting list.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Great review Snare! Clear voice, and shows the light well.

Haven't had any lights by them yet, but it's on the list.

Johnbeck180

Enlightened
Thanks. I'd like to get an HCRI as well if they ever get back in stock somewhere. I guess I don't want to join the 6 month waiting list.

Lol, I joined the list about 3-4 months ago, It was inevitable for me. I try to forget about it but I find myself in a hurry to check the mail on a daily basis. BTW nice watch.