Minimag reliability?

compnaut

Newly Enlightened
I bought a couple of minimag LED flashlights packaged with 3D LED MAGLights a year or two ago. The 3D lights have been fine. However, both of the minimags have proven unreliable. The lights change modes randomly as I am walking (I think the slightest bump is enough to convince the electronics that I want to change modes). I believe they are the lights with the lanyard loop on the tail rather than the flat tailcap. They were supposedly the more reliable, newer design of the minimag, but it did not turn out that way. Well, the disappointment did have a bright side (sorry about that :naughty:) since it led me to purchase several fenix lights (for myself as well as for friends and family). Also, a Zebralight. All have been great. I am even now considering another purchase (Fenix LD41 or maybe Jetbean PA40?). Still, I always liked mags and would be tempted by another minimag if I thought they had finally fixed the problems with the minimag LED lights. For that matter, I'd like to get these two I already own to work, if a fix is available from MAG.

Does anyone know if they have fixed their problems? I've seen talk about the new miniaga pro+ lights and no one mentions problems with flakey switches. Does that mean they have fixed their problems?

Thanks.

Spankis

Newly Enlightened
I bought the latest led minimag around xmas and have had quite a few issues with it, all similar to what you're describing. If it's not changing modes it's flickering, then going out, or worse yet burning very dim (as in way dimmer than low mode) and not coming back on when i switch modes.... I like the light when it works, but it's gone unused since it first started having these issues. It's not always consistent, so I've hesitated to bother with the trouble of a warranty repair/replacement, though I probably will unless I find a reasonable mod/fix. I'd prefer a simple single mode conversion of some sort.

edpmis02

Enlightened
I have two Minimags with the Rebel led. neither one does very well on Eneloops. I have cleaned the contacts several times and remember to pull the little spring out of the tailcap.

compnaut

Newly Enlightened
I have two Minimags with the Rebel led. neither one does very well on Eneloops. I have cleaned the contacts several times and remember to pull the little spring out of the tailcap.

I done the same thing, and have found that pulling on or stretching out the spring seems to help. However, it does not completely eliminate the problem. Does is solve the problem for you? To me, the lights are simply too unreliable to bother with (although I would probably be happy to use them in candle mode during a power-outage since I think as long as there was not vibration of the head the light would be reliable).

edpmis02

Enlightened
I have a Gen 1 Lux III that has been retired since it is out classed by every other light. It was pretty much trouble free, but had the sudden shut off when battery voltage dropped.

My first rebel (no lanyard hole) was purchased at full price at a home improvement store. It has been fairly reliable.

the second rebel, the "improved" tailcap version was clearance priced at Target for $4.88, and it has never been very steady. (but it has a better tint)

I always used Eneloops but they flicker just about 20% of power used. they must be very voltage sensitive since they are not regulated.

I just put some alkalines in them to see if they improve, but I got plenty of better lights. I can't stand the PWM strobe when I use them.

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I gave up on MiniMags 20 years ago so your recent experience doesn't surprise me, unfortunately.
If a company can't get something right after 30+ years, something is wrong IMO. :shrug: