Flashlight with Green LED's vs LED Flashlight with Green Lens

kevinbh

Newly Enlightened
Is there any advantage to a green LED vs a Green Lens? Thanks!

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there any advantage to a green LED vs a Green Lens? Thanks!

IAq4y.gif

Depends on the shade of green you want, and if you want it to be nearly monochromatic or not. And if you want to be able to quickly switch between white and green. The 'green valley' in that graph shows where you don't get much light. Red and cyan are weak in white LEDs.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If you just want green, get a Green LED. If you want white, but sometimes use green, either get a green filter, or get something with two LEDs, a white and a green one.

Using a filter is not very efficient because any light that is not green is lost.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Green LED's are super awesome.
+1

I spent about 5 yrs experimenting with green lights. They are great but using any monochromatic light is a learned experience with a steeper learning curve for some than for others. IMO that is why so many who try them out often give up after their first use. I eventually got pretty comportable with 525nm.

One of mine has died but I still have all the rest I bought over the years.

I'd go with the green LED over the filter any day.

Last edited:

tickled

Newly Enlightened
If you just want green, get a Green LED. If you want white, but sometimes use green, either get a green filter, or get something with two LEDs, a white and a green one. Using a filter is not very efficient because any light that is not green is lost.
Each additional surface also causes light loss.