• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired FS: Vintage Ray-O-Vac XM-L U2 Mod (1000 Lumen)

jayrob

Enlightened
FS: Vintage Ray-O-Vac XM-L U3 Mod (1000 Lumen)

These are nice vintage chrome hosts for an XM-L U3 1000 lumen mod...

Note: I'm now using the new XM-L U3 emitters because they are better, but can use any emitter you would like... (U3 1C on hand)

I also have the new XML-2 emitters by request...

--- Retro / High Tech ---

Ray-O-Vac made this 2D 'Sportsman' model in 1965.

I have several of these in mint condition with box.
Ray - 15 small.jpg

If you want a $20 dollar discount, I have several used hosts in good condition. (some signs of wear, but in good condition)

In this modification, I am gluing a 'plug' inside the host, and using a single 32650 Li-Ion supply. (I have fiberglass sleeves for a 26650 as well - $5)

Ray - 9.jpg

Features of the build:

* XM-L emitter
* Multi mode 3 Amp driver with memory (see notes below)
* Sized for a single 32650 Li-Ion supply
* Multi-Layer Coated HD Glass Lens with custom sized silicone o-ring (or glow ring option available)
* Aluminum reflector (chose smooth or MOP - see below)
* Glow ring option

Notes:
* This is a 'fixed focus' design. I will have it adjusted to best spot. It has a nice bright spill area. 'Best spot' focus is the preferred set up... :D
* This driver uses 380mA AMC7135 chips to reach 3 Amps. :) It has many modes that can be configured. I personally like the 2 mode set up. (medium and high)
* I have 6000mAh 32650's here!

See here for some feedback from some who have bought this build... :)

More about the driver:

The driver is 8 X AMC7135 chips, but the new V2 driver uses 380mA chips vs 350mA chips normally.

So it puts out 3 Amps... :)

I personally like the 2 mode configuration. But I can configure the driver how ever you would like it per this configuration sheet:

Eveready 19.jpg

The pictures show the details of the build...

Ray - 1.jpg

Ray - 2.jpg

Ray - 3.jpg

Ray - 4.jpg

Multi-Layer Coated HD Glass lens (Glow ring is an option)

The glow ring is custom made by Fiddy...

Ray - 5.jpg

Ray - 6.jpg

Ray - 7.jpg

Ray - 8.jpg

Aluminum Reflector: (choose smooth or MOP)

Smooth reflector...

MOP reflector...

Beam shots:

Ray - 10.jpg

Ray - 11.jpg

Current readings (2 mode configuration): (High, medium)

Pretty much the same at the emitter as measured at the tail: (linear driver)

Measured at the tail: (battery current draw from a single, 6000mAh 32650 Li-Ion)
* High - 3020mA's... Estimated run time - 2 hours! :)
* Medium - 890mA's... Estimated run time - Over 6 hours at about 320 lumens! :D

Pricing:

This build could be cheaper but I'm using the best parts I could find since it's such a great vintage host!
beer.gif

The complete build will include:

* Ray-O-Vac Sportsman host (Mint condition with box)
* Heatsink/driver/XM-L U3 emitter installed and tested (let me know desired mode configuration for the driver)
* Aluminum reflector (specify smooth or MOP)
* Multi-Layer Coated HD Glass Lens with custom sized silicone o-ring
* Assembled and ready for your battery

$199

Options:

* 6000mAh 32650 cells - $24 each
* Custom glow ring - $15
* Discount: Used host/good condition - Subtract $20
* If you need a battery and/or charger with your order, just let me know and I can include those items as well...

Shipping will be based on transfer fees plus postage... (PM me for total)

Shipping Policy

Hope you like it! :cool:

Last edited:

jayrob

Enlightened
Glad you guys like it! :D

I'll be using this post for quoting feedback from buyers...

I Love to see good feedback. Here's the start of some buyer feedback on this build. So that I can link to it from other sites...
smile.gif

Got my light from Jayrob she is sweet

...All of jayrob's builds are sweet have his ican and led mags and now this classic

Hi Jayrob,

Received my light two days ago but I've been working nights so I couldn't post. The light arrived in perfect condition and much sooner than I expected, thanks!

I'm a police officer working the 8PM to 8AM shift so I guess I have the ideal job for testing flashlights. I use a Thrunight Catapult as a primary light. It produces a fairly massive wall of light and your build produces just as much light but in a smaller package with a better driver. And its just so pretty. In fact, I'm afraid to dent it or scratch it.

I've received numerous comments from co-workers like "hey, I had one these when I was a kid" or "that's the coolest flashlight I've ever seen" or "wow, that's bright!"

Thanks again for the very fast shipping and the out-of-this-world cool factor!

Gordon

The light arrived yesterday.
Very great . Thanks

Best regards O.R

CLong said:
Thanks so much Jay! This is an amazing build you have done. My husband is going to love his anniversary present. :)

Brett said:
Jay, I'm so happy I got this light from you. Thanks very much for building it for me!

Received my Ray-O-Vac mod today. FANTASTIC job. Fit and finish are superb, and the light simply looks awesome, in that special old-timey way. Thanks again for the quick turnaround and customizations!

-Dan

LaserEddie said:
Received two vintage builds from JayRob: The Ray-O-Vac Sportsman and the Eveready brass with beveled glass lens. When I put the Ray-O-Vac on "high," Mamma Mia! The thing lights up the room enough to give you a sunburn! I call these my DEU's (Dark Extraction Units). I have a Cyclops 30 million candlepower spotlight (incandescent, with a big battery), and this equals that monster. The brass Eveready is the same, with incredible throw. I really love these lights - taking nothing away from the Maglight builds, but these are real sleepers, and look awesome in their vintage splendor. It's so nice to have the security of lighting up a dark alley like it was daytime. I shudder to think of what these single-emitter fire-breathers will bring in the future: 10,000 lumens? Pulling one amp? Runtime: 100 hours? Lol! The future is BRIGHT!
Thanks Jay, for these super builds. GO VINTAGE!

I received my rayovac a few days ago, and I love it. I like this one a little better than the everready, but that's just because I think the host looks cooler. In this one I have a nice cool white XML-2. Very bright, smooth beam.

nice work jayrob!

Last edited:

CMAG

Enlightened
Like it
I will take it
PM on the way
Pay Pal Sent

Last edited:

jayrob

Enlightened
They are old lights. But collectors have kept them. I have gathered a few...

I have several 'mint condition with box' hosts! :)

Or for a $20 dollar discount on the build, I also have several 'used but in good condition'. Obviously some signs of normal wear and so forth, but good condition hosts...

Last edited:

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wassup Jayrob? Now why didn't you post this a day earlier??? I just bought a 1962-62' Eveready Captain with plans to do something similar to it. I'm kinda lazy (and you could do a much better job than me I'm sure) so maybe I could send it to you for upgrades?

PM me if interested. :) Either way, good luck with your sales. I'm sure they'll go quick. :thumbsup:

jayrob

Enlightened
I think you did your math wrong on the low mode runtime.

Hmmm... Well keep in mind that the current measurements were taken with a fully charged battery as well. So the run times are 'estimated run times'. But with 6000mAh's supply capacity, divided by 150mA's, it's 40 hours... (150mA's battery current draw on low power)

Edit: I'm recommending a 2 mode setting these days anyway.(medium and high) Because low is only 5% and pretty dim...

Wassup Jayrob? Now why didn't you post this a day earlier??? I just bought a 1962-62' Eveready Captain with plans to do something similar to it. I'm kinda lazy (and you could do a much better job than me I'm sure) so maybe I could send it to you for upgrades?

PM me if interested. :) Either way, good luck with your sales. I'm sure they'll go quick. :thumbsup:

Nice!

Sure I can take a look at it if you want...

The only thing really, is as long as the head fits the reflector that I am using. Or if we can find one that fits.

I'm doing some light machine work on the KD aluminum Mag reflectors to fit them to this Ray-O-Vac mod.

The only other thing that needs to work, is the switch, and we're good to go!

Send me a PM!
beer.gif

Last edited:

CMAG

Enlightened

The lot of 4 over on CPFMP

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have to buy one of these when I get the funds

people will be like, "wow cool old light you've.... AHHHHHHHHHH MY EYES"

briteflite

Newly Enlightened
This is a really nice upgrade for a classic light. I really admire your work! hope to come up with the funds to have you build one for me soon.

Dionesius3

Newly Enlightened
Man that is awesome!!! I remember these from when I was a kid. My dad had these around the house all the time.
it was also carried by many police back in the 60's and 70's as well.
i sure hope you can keep doing these untill I can come up with the funds to buy one.

jayrob

Enlightened
I should have them!

Just let me know when your ready... :)

This is a really nice upgrade for a classic light. I really admire your work! hope to come up with the funds to have you build one for me soon.

Will do!

At the moment, I have several mint condition lights with box. And also 7 or 8 that are used but in good condition...

I'll be keeping my eye out for more of these lights though.

They are a really nice host! :cool:

Last edited: