My Fenix L0D just crapped out on me. Repair or replace?

Capt America

Newly Enlightened
My Fenix L0D quit working on me the other day. Replaced battery- nothing. Cleaned contacts with alcohol and let thoroughly dry- nothing.

I got it for Christmas 2009, so it's no longer covered under warranty; so I either need to repair or replace it. Has anyone had an L0D quit working that they had repaired? Any idea what I might be looking at for repair costs?

On the other hand, can anyone recommend a similarly good keychain flashlight? Preferably in AA or AAA, because I got Sanyo Eneloops that will fit those. I *rarely* had a use for the L0D's full-power mode (and I never used the strobe or SOS modes), so I don't really need a flashlight with 75 lumens. I used to have a Fenix E01 (that I gave away when I got my L0D, DOH!), but I didn't like it much because it wasn't quite bright enough and it sort of had a bluish tint. So I guess I'm looking for something between the E01 and the L0D. Also, after having this one crap out on me, I'm not sure I want to support Fenix by purchasing another one of their flashlights, so if there are any other companies making a decent AA or AAA keychain flashlight, I'd like to explore those options.

Sooo, thoughts, opinions?

Thanks!

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of my most used lights is the Streamlight Microstream. Have used mine daily for almost 3 years without a single problem, plus it is dirt cheap and I dont worry about using it hard like some more expensive lights. It does not have a dedicated keychain attachment but I use mine by the clip on a keychain.

Capt America

Newly Enlightened
The Microstream looks nice, and just about exactly what I'd like, but the lack of keychain attachment just about kills it for me. I just think with the constant keys in-and-out of the pockets, I think it's bound to slip off occasionally. Sooner or later I think I'd be likely to lose it.

Any other recommendations?

busseguy

Enlightened
The Peak Eiger with QTC would be a great choice. You can get it in aluminum, stainless steel, or brass. It gives you multiple brightness's just by the twist of the head. They also come with a lifetime warranty now.

Capt America

Newly Enlightened
Above my price range for the moment, but man that Peak Eiger looks like a really nice flashlight.

What is "QTC" though?

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Honestly, I hate carrying a light on my keys, the only light directly on my keys is a Photon Microlight. I carry the Microstream in my sweat pocket at home and my Fenix L0PSE loose in my pocket in my pants, have done it for 5 years. Carrying a light directly on my keys makes little sense to me because it bangs against the steering column marking up the column and posssibly damaging the light, and other things when using the keys and I have to have my keys out when I use the light. I carried that way for a year or so when I first started carrying and found out it is not the best way, not for me at least. Another reason I dislike it is I all too often have to use the light in my mouth and having keys hanging from my mouth is a pain, and taking it off takes too long.

My wife uses a copper Maratac which is brighter than my microstream but she only uses one light where I have and use several. Its more expensive but not prohibitive, But they have other materials too which are probably a bit cheaper.

http://www.countycomm.com/aaacopper.html

Last edited:

inspirit

Newly Enlightened
L0D has been discontinued. You can send email to [email protected] and see what they can do for that. Fenix service staff can be very helpful. For EDC, i love Fenix E05 and LD01、LD10. Compact size with powerful light.

huan00102

Newly Enlightened
L0D has been discontinued. You can send email to [email protected] and see what they can do for that. Fenix service staff can be very helpful. For EDC, i love Fenix E05 and LD01、LD10. Compact size with powerful light.

LOD is old version but may be classical. I would like to have it repair if it's my choice. Anyway, get a new light is not a bad idea.

nbp

Flashaholic
LD01 is a super little light if you liked your old one. Tough little buggers. If you can find a stainless steel model they are outstanding.

On your old one did you try pulling out the spring at the bottom of the battery tube and stretching it to make sure that it is making proper contact?

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
If Fenix can't help and stretching the spring doesn't work there is a famous auction site that sells them in SS for *north* of $50.00. I have one and use it all the time. I don't remember paying anything like fifty bucks for it. You could also check the MarketPlace and place a WTB post.

GunnarGG

Enlightened
LD01 (newer version of L0D) is what I use as EDC. I think it's great.
The E05 is single mode about medium on LD01 but more flood /less throw.
If you don't care about the high / low on LD01 I suggest the E05.
I think Fenix are good and reliable but of course any light can fail.

ragweed

Enlightened
I would pull the spring & check it & the bottom of the tube for corrosion. My spring & tube were corroded on my E01 I cleaned it & works like new now. Other than that you just were unlucky to get a bad light. All my Fenix lights are A-1 & no problems with any of them so far.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take a look a the FourSevens line. They have a 10 yr warranty, and great customer service that is located in the US at their headquarter and repair facility.

brianna

Enlightened
Save your money and purchase a quality light like HDS or Surefire. It is a crap shoot purchasing fenix or other cheap lights with such poor quality control.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Save your money and purchase a quality light like HDS or Surefire. It is a crap shoot purchasing fenix or other cheap lights with such poor quality control.

Like trying to start arguements dont you. If you had been around long enough you would know that Fenix was one of the first light companies to come out of Asia with a really decent product at a price point that could put a nice product in pocket of everyone who was used to Mags. It was not created as a threat to higher end lights but the middle of the road, and thier qaulity has more than done that. They had some clicky isses early on but have been pretty solid since. In fact I would say that they powered LEDs forward more than Surefire and other high end lights who were for a long time content to stay with their proven technology. It is probably thanks to Fenix we have some of the really new lights we enjoy today. They are a nice pretty safe choice if one does not wish to buy the more expensive lights. Just my opinion of course.

Last edited:

Nice65

Newly Enlightened
Surefire have been way behind for years, happy to rely on their reputation alone.

It's the Chinese/Asians that have done the research and development giving us the LEDS and batteries we have today. Surefire have sat on their backsides and picked up the scraps as it suits them, then try to feed them back to us at exorbitant prices.

Last edited:

brianna

Enlightened
I purchased four fenix E15 lights. Only 2 worked. Out of the two that worked both emitters were far off center. One had tight smooth threads. The other had gritty threads. Not looking for a argument, just telling it like it is.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire's and HDS crap out too, hopefully not as often, but there's an SF failure thread in the LED FL sub forum as we speak. Also, just doing a search on Surefire or HDS + warranty will produced enough failure hits to let you know they are not infallible.

I'd love to get an HDS - not SF since it seems so focused on Tactical and Impractical - but I like to run rechargeables (Li-ion and NiMh) and HDS' die hard dedication to the CR123/16340 format just represents limitations for me.

ragweed

Enlightened
+1 on that! CR123 batteries are expensive if you get the USA made ones.

Nice65

Newly Enlightened
I have to apologise to you guys. I posted from my phone in a sunny pub garden. I thought I'd clicked into a UK knife forum, but it was CPF :rolleyes:

a91fbaa1.jpg