Are my lux-readings correct? Magled

bonhomme

Newly Enlightened
I modded +-2 jears ago a 2D Magled (with the newer and deeper reflector) with 8AA cells and a Dowboy 917mA convertor and a Cree XRE R2 led.
I maesured the lux and got +-30.000lux. Nice
A couple of weeks ago i orderd 2 new mags : a 2D magled with rebel led 22.000lux printed on the package and maesured only 17.000lux?
And a 3D magled with the newer cree led 33.000lux on the package and maesured only 24.000lux on my meter?
Can someone conferm these maesurements?
Because they dont meet the printed statements i am not sure.
Thanks Marc

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless you have a very nice lux meter and a very precise measuring procedure, your readings will have to be "adjusted" a bit. (It's like using a non-calibrated ruler; you have to convert your "ten and a half" to a common unit). It helps to measure a series of 'known' devices. You might average a mag Lite, but be sure to measure the same way the FL-1 spec does.

bonhomme

Newly Enlightened
I maesured my sunwayman T40CS at 46.000lux so it is not far away from the 45.000lux they advertized.
So i think i maesure it ok at one meter from the luxmeter? Its the same reading like Selfbuild did on his reviev of the T40CS.
But i cant find lux readings from cpfmembers from ledmaglites.
Thanks Marc

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even if you come up with a correction factor on your meter.....it means nothing. I can tell you from experience that unless you're comparing the same exact LED with your meter at different power levels it will be innacurate between different lights. Because the cheaper meters will give different readings with different LED tints. I didn't get good results until I bought a good $200 class meter that corrects for colour differences.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Also, their measurements could be "Best Case" measurements with higher numbers to attract customers (assuming these are stock LED Mags).

I don't have a light meter or the newer LED Mags, so I can't confirm.