Friend is going to Haiti im thinking about sending some lights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont keep up with the news, but my friend is going to Haiti to try and help / do some good. Im wondering if its worthwhile sending a 20 'ok' flashlights with him to give away??, i have 3 questions,

1. which light (im thinking single AA/AAA simple and reliable)

2.anyone want to contribute a few $$$ so we can send more??

3. is there anything better we can send with the money ($200) then 20 ok flashlights?

hes a great guy and will put items in hands of those he feels has most need...

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of my co-workers went last fall and it was really quite astounding to hear a first-hand account (non-media) of how bad the day to day conditions are in Haiti. An account of their trip is still online if you or your friend would be interested. I applaud your friend for going to help and your intentions to send some things with him.

If he would be giving these lights away, then I believe the AA's would be the best but even those batteries will be hard to find (or afford) for many residents. In the most impoverished areas the people cannot even afford to buy necessities such as food and clean drinking water (bottled water is the only source) and I can only imagine the premium that would be charged for a "luxury" item such as batteries.

Your friend and those traveling with him will have a personal need for some lights as well. I hope they plan to be in a secured area at night but even so, power outages are not uncommon. A few low-output, long runtime lights and some spare primary batteries would be worth taking along anyway. They could always be left behind when your friend comes home.

Based upon what I heard from the group that went last year, money is about the best thing to take. They packed a ton of clothing, toys, personal care items and medicine to take with them (and had trouble getting some of it into the country) but once they got there and began visiting the orphanages, they found themselves needing cash more than anything. Sometimes they had to buy food, other times it was bedding for the children. At nearly every location they had to buy bottled water for the children. They never knew until they got there what it would be.

lwknight

Enlightened
My wife was telling me about someone that she knew of that worked a relief effort in Africa where
the average income was about $1.00 per day. I should have listened to details ( country and who , all that )

Anyway there are no power lines to villages and they do have some flashlights but cannot afford batteries. So the relief people buy rechargeable batteries and lease/rent them out at a low cost.
The kicker is that its hard to explain why they have to return the batteries when they are dead.
Evidently they don't understand rent/lease. They think they paid for it , its theirs.

Anyway point is that a solar charger and batteries would be a very valuable and lasting asset. Flashlights would be short term at best if they can't get more batteries so the really cheap lights would be the way to maximize the benefit. Whoever has a nice flashlight will be a target like wearing fine jewelry in a bad neighborhood.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
There's the Bogo Light that might be a good option. It's a solar charging light and you might be able to contact them about buying 20. I'm not sure how tough they are or what LEDs they use, but light is better then no light.

Phil828

Newly Enlightened
There are several solar lanterns available that were developed specifically for third world countries. They are hung outside during the day to charge and brought in at night to use. I have not tried any of these myself but if I ever go back to Haiti I will take some with me. The normal method of illumination in the evening in Haiti is a kerosene lantern which has been made out of a metal food can. Not very effective to say the least and fuel is expensive. Batteries can be found but they are the old yellow and blue Ray-o-vac which are not even alkaline. As has been mentioned, a good flashlight will attract a lot of attention.
I agree that money is one of the most useful things to take but take a trusted Haitian along when you shop or you will be paying much more than anyone else for purchases.

Status
Not open for further replies.