I stayed away from LED's far too long

Grizzly22

Newly Enlightened
Long ago, about 10-14 years ago, I thought I was king of the block when I bought a 6D Maglite. I showed it off to everyone and they were impressed by it's size. Is it a baseball bat? No it's a flashlight! Incredibly bright, batteries lasted long enough, very reliable, and impossible to lose due to it's size. Bright enough to blind someone is what we all thought. At campsites, parties, or night outings no other flashlight compared to it, everyone loved it.

5 or so years later, it is still my baby. But I can't help to think there must be something better and brighter. This is the time when LED's were quickly taking over. I've read that they are brighter and make batteries last longer, never need replacing, a double plus I thought. Checking to see if there is any new Maglites they have made since than I noticed new LED Maglites. They were brighter and lasted longer, why shouldn't I get one? Than I read the reviews and they were AWFUL! LED doesn't work, the light quickly goes dim after a few seconds of turning it on. 1 out of the 3 LED's doesn't light up, etc. etc. Not to mention they were much more expensive than what I had paid for. Other cheap flashlight brands my friends had usually had the problem where at least 1 out of the 9 LED's doesn't work, if not more than half didn't work. I thought this new LED technology seemed like a joke. Why pay so much extra for something this is so faulty... So I stayed away from all of that, and kept my 6D Maglite as my baby some more.

Another few years or so passes by, and I decided to check up on the flashlight technology. LED's are everywhere! Decided to the check on Maglites again and noticed still the same body style and look it has. Read some reviews and have come across first-generation vs second generation LED Maglites, the first generation LED's is what I constantly heard troubles with years back, but nearly all the reviews are saying the second generation is flawless. Excellent reviews, but most say it's not near the brightest in the industry. I kept on hearing about comparisons to SureFire in the reviews and how they are much, much, much brighter while being at the size of Maglites 2x AA flashlight. I thought, how could something this small be so incredibly bright. Go over to SureFire's website to investigate and couldn't help but notice how insanely expensive everything was! $200 - $400 dollars for a flashlight?!? Who in the right mind would pay that? Specially designed batteries just for the flashlight were expensive too! Scratch SureFire off of my list, did not have the spending money for that. Mr. 6D Maglite is still my baby.

2012. It's that time where these LED flashlights have to be in my price range. A buddy tells me about Nebo Redline, it's $30 and very bright. He shows it off to me, I'm impressed, he says it is 250 lumens. I do many searching to see what else is brighter than 250 lumens and can't believe how highly rated a lot of these lights are. I read the reviews, compare prices, and what style I like. 500 lumen SureFire Fury, 1200 lumen Klarus XT20, 800 lumen Fenix TK-41 and 300 lumen Nebo Redline SE are the finalists I like. After a couple months of figuring out which flashlight I am going to buy, I finally decided to go with the Fenix TK-41 and couldn't be happier. It is very bright, 4 different light modes, and uses AA batteries. I love it! I have owned my TK41 for 3 days now and it is awesome! I find myself going outside at night for no reason and looking around for an excuse to shine it around. I told the wife I was going out to the garage but little does she know I was really out back playing with it like a kid, shining it around.

Can't believe the time has come, my 6D Maglite I have owned and used for so long, is finally being replaced as the brightest, best flashlight I have. All those memories we had, and now I'm starting a new chapter without it. Goodbye 6D Mag, you are no longer my primary light anymore...

OK vent over, hope I didn't bore you or run on with my little story. :grin2:

Last edited by a moderator:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Read up on the ROP Maglight mod.
Quick and easy way to love the Mag again. Or you can drop a Malkoff in it and have ridiculous runtime.

I'm all for buying smaller neater lights but a well loved 6D needs to stay serviceable.

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you got the budget, patience and good hands with parts, you can modify your 6D Mag into something that will blow away any LED lights out there.

It's called the Mag 64656.

17,000 lumens.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Grizzly22,

Thanks for sharing your interesting story! And welcome to this forum. I also have a Maglite 6D which I earlier thought was the flashlight king, as well as 2D which I considered to be bright for a 2D light... Today there are 1AA lights brighter than stock 6D!

Ezeriel

Enlightened
I don't think I have ever read a post where the person buying the TK41 wasn't happy with the light.

..maybe a bad button here or there...

maybe I should buy one..

Lord No! I don't need a new light! I gotta go... grats to the OP on the new light !
/run away / run away

bwall85

Newly Enlightened
I think a lot of us can relate to this. I know I can in some ways.

Check out Malkoff Devices for an upgrade to your Maglite. Easy to do, great upgrade, and made by a heck of a nice guy right here in the USA.

bodhran

Enlightened
i enjoyed reading your story and the Tk41 is a great light. A word of advise. Stop reading these posts or find a second job...*s*

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Great Story Grizzly!

You could always modify that mag so it's output matches the size. Mag have a lot of mods, due to how common they are.

Xacto

Enlightened
To me, it was my Maglight 3D that rode in the space between the gearbox tunnel and the passenger seat for years since I first bought it in 1995 and got my first own car in 1996. Between 1996 and 1999 I got my 6D (and dented the bezel ring on the first day) which I quickly fitted with something that should resemble a HK MP5 tactical sling (in those days, airsoft and fitting equipment like slings weren't available in my country). Fast Forward to 2008 - first Surefire 6PL, 2009 iTP SA-1 and more Surefires.... ;-)

Cheers
Thorsten