Do you Spy?

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you sometimes feel that there isn't as much exposure given to custom builders in the LED sub forum as occurs in the custom builder's own sub forums? That is the case, IMHO. That's a shame – and this post is intended to provide more exposure for one of the most amazing custom lights you can buy by 'showing it off' here, in the LED sub forum.

Over in the Cool Fall forum I shared an "Ode to the Spy" (LOTS more photos there) - my thoughts and photos about my then just acquired Stone Washed Gunner Grip Spy 007 cool XPG. Since that time I've acquired 2 additional 007s – a pre-owned earlier generation standard finish 007 that is now in the hands of Data being refurbed / updated to the modern driver, etc…and another brand new 007, this time in standard finish with a neutral XPG.

If you are unfamiliar with the Cool Fall "Spy" series of lights, or any of Data's other awesome products, a simple search or a visit to the Cool Fall sub forum will certainly provide much information

The Spy 007 makes an almost perfect EDC (these are my observations – no claims that they are totally accurate, but hopefully relatively close):

• 6 levels of output, accessed by a simple knob with a very satisfying 'click' between each level.
  • Each level is easily programmable. Levels range from less than 0.1 mA to (on the newer versions) 1400mA. These levels will give you a low that is dimmer than a trit (see photo) and a high that is close to 300 lumen (on the cool white XPG.)
  • 4 banks of those 6 levels - a low to high bank, a battery miser bank, a high to low bank – whatever your imagination can come up with.
  • Extra functions including a reset to original settings, battery level check, output settings for each position, and more.
  • No parasitic drain at the low settings (compared to many of the new magnetic control ring lights)
  • Solid tail standing
  • Flat – won't roll off the table.
  • Most people consider it almost the ultimate in ergonomic – easy to hold, fits nicely in small and large hands
  • Long run times
  • Output regulation is rock solid – a run time graph looks like a straight line
  • Solid attachment point for split ring or lanyard
  • Built like a tank
  • Titanium is, well, titanium. A very rugged and beautiful, yet forgiving metal. The angles and lines of the Spy 007 in titanium are simply awesome – beautiful.

The decision to purchase the SWGG version was based on my desire to have a light that I could just drop in my pocket with minimal concern about the finish. In my "ode" thread the photos were of a day old Spy…;) – now I have carried that light EVERY day for almost a month. And not pampered like a shelf queen – but carried in my pocket with a set of keys, loose change, etc. It sits on the night table at night for use if needed, so you could say that it has become my 24/7 EDC.

Here's a photo of the light when I first received it:
Spy%2520upright%2520smooth.jpg

I mentioned how low it would go....
IMG_7350.JPG

And the remaining photos are after almost a month of steady pocket carry with keys and change...

Alongside the beautiful standard finish
spies%2520painterly.jpg

Using the awesome Cool Fall Droid carabiner –
PicasaUp.jpg

Resting on the awesome Cool Fall titanium chain
Spies%2520chain%2520droid%2520hinderer.jpg

Eye candy
SWGG%2520tripod%2520painterly.jpg

Spy%2520tripod%2520droid%2520painterly.jpg

IMG_7353.JPG

There are a couple of threads floating around discussing a company who produced a new light that is an attempt at copying this light. In my humble opinion, a copy won't 'cut it.' This light is the result of thousands of man hours of design, trial and error, and skilled craftsmanship – and a willingness by the designer and builder to take input from other custom builders – even use some of their designs and products as a best practice – as well as input from his many customers, dare I say, fans. Years of work, and a continuous effort to improve the product.

And I haven't even, up to now, mentioned the Tri-V…

So if you haven't heard of the Spy 007 or Cool Fall, maybe you want to take a peek. If you are a fan, maybe this post will open the door for you to share your own thoughts. And if you are considering one but just haven't yet decided that you are willing to make the investment, maybe this will help you with your decision.

scout24

Flashaholic
Awesome... There are many great lights available today, but NONE do what this one can. If you're on the fence, or a Spy seems way out of reach, do yourself a favor- skip the cup of fancy coffee, or that donut every day for a year. 2-3 dollars a day. Seems impossibly long, but the time will fly... Put it away. Send it to Dave, or find a user on BST. (There are one or two there now...) It may seem like forever, and a bunch of other lights will come and go. You'll be spoiled very quickly. :) Nothing like it for the versatility, bank-vault build, and ergonomics. Use it. Carry it. You'll save in the long run.

ironhorse

Enlightened
I have a HDS clicky and a HDS Rotary and there is only 2 other lights that I want. A Spy 007, and a Mcgizmo Mule.

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
I so agree with the above. A friend pointed me towards the SPY and it was my first "real" light.
Ive tried the Tri-V but ills it and kept the 007 as is truly one I don't need to worry about using and EDCing. I even let guests at the cabin use it without
me worrying. IMO. Worth every penny.

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
You need to get a Tri-V to go along with your three 007s! And I REALLY need to get a 007 with my Tri-V.

Thanks the awesome read and photos, couldn't agree with you more.

bansuri

Enlightened
Hope to someday reach a financial level where I feel OK owning one. Had the opportunity to test one that a friend sent me, for all the Ti and cool design details it really doesn't seem that blingy when you are using it. Very straightforward, solid as a rock. The simple act of changing batteries is like something you'd see in a James Bond movie. Someday...
Also tried out a Tri-V, a fantastic evolution in the series. Does some very interesting tricks.
Regarding the knockoffs: meh. It looks like a broken 007 that someone replaced the switch with a rheostat. Just another magnetic ring light. The levels on the 007 are programmable and the Tri-V allows you to program the output between emitters. If you've got enough for the knockoff, just save a little more for the real thing.
Nice thread, run4jc! A lot of folks might not be aware of these lights if they haven't looked around the custom section.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
You need to get a Tri-V to go along with your three 007s! And I REALLY need to get a 007 with my Tri-V.

Thanks the awesome read and photos, couldn't agree with you more.

Thanks, Kuan! Once upon a time I owned TWO Tri-Vs...AWESOME lights. I truly enjoyed owning them, and was sad to sell them. I probably use the 007 a bit more, but that's just because I have that awesome SWGG and don't mind dropping it into my pocket!

But I'm watching for the launch of the Tri-V2...;)

mohanjude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice write up. Bought myself a second Tri-V so I could EDC it and not worry. My original Tri-v sits in its AOTH holster on the shelf.

I dare not tell anyone that the light I am holding is 2000 bucks. I use it daily to shine inside people's mouths and other dark places of the human body.... That is the only down side. Even when you get your self to a position that you can afford it it takes a certain mind set to carry it around 24/7 and use it like a tool. I used the SMV Ti v10r for this job and it was a good light do this job. The Tri-V just surpasses the functionality by having the 3 different emitters. Now I have carried it around for a week and bought data's carabiner and chain it completes the outfit. Love it!!!

I look forward to the Tri-v2 Stone washed Gunner grip so I may get the opportunity to EDC it....

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
Mohanjude- I totally agree on the mindset to use it like a tool point that you made... I had that same dilema with my first McGizmo, my first Milky mod, my first Surefire, and on down through the cost strata when I first started. It's definitely a leap to take, but if I'm going to spend the money, I'm going to enjoy it for what it was built for. My first few 007's were kept on a shelf, admired and used very carefully, and sold. One of the current ones, that's another story entirely... :devil:

mohanjude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mohanjude- I totally agree on the mindset to use it like a tool point that you made... I had that same dilema with my first McGizmo, my first Milky mod, my first Surefire, and on down through the cost strata when I first started. It's definitely a leap to take, but if I'm going to spend the money, I'm going to enjoy it for what it was built for. My first few 007's were kept on a shelf, admired and used very carefully, and sold. One of the current ones, that's another story entirely... :devil:

You are right.. The spy's were built to be used. I think locking it in a safe defeats the object. After all when I bought the $$$ latest cellular phone and webpad I used it straightaway. I wouldn't dream of locking it away in its box... So it's time that the spy does active service and is used for what it was designed for.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
so that's an actual tripod mount it has, right? any specific reason for that? I like the idea but do a lot of yall use your lights on tripods?

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
so that's an actual tripod mount it has, right? any specific reason for that? I like the idea but do a lot of yall use your lights on tripods?

Occasionally...mostly not. Still, some time ago I bought one of Data's mini picatinny rail adapters - here's the old sales thread. And it's threaded for a standard tripod mount. I THINK they sold out some time ago - but I could be wrong?

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dan has awesome taste in lights and that Stonewash Gunner Grip light is an amazing feeling light.

The Tri-V is an awesome light. The flexibility between flood, reflector and aspheric in such a small package with the ability to choose any power level from 0.1mA up to 3Amps along with any combination of the three emitters is very impressive.

For something more 'price conscious' the Spy007 XM-L is another truely amazing light. It has the ability to push a regulated 3Amps through a XM-L which just amazing. Not a thrower and not all flood - but quite a bit of flood. It makes a truly great day to day light for all indoor needs and will flood and outdoor area 200 feet away with an amazing amount of light.

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast

I use mine all the time on a tripod at our cabin as we only have 12v lighting from batteries. So it is the kitchen light, the card playing light, the bathroom light...