Arc AAA on/off problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinzli

Newly Enlightened
Hi Folks. I just picked up an Arc AAA LE. Nice little light, but I've noticed one thing. After carrying it in my pocket for a few hours, and then turning it on, I can twist it all the way "shut" and the light doesn't turn on. Untwist it a few turns and then twist it on again and it lights.

Is this normal? Is it a symptom of a problem?

I looked through the archives for an answer but didn't see anything, and this is such an esoteric question I didn't find anything while searching, but I apologize if this is covered somewhere that I missed.

Thanks...

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
Arc's Flashlight FAQ

Maintenance

1. Regularly clean the threads of dirt and aluminum oxide (the black gunk)
2. Check battery for leakage
3. Apply grease to threads and o-ring for good water seal and smooth operation. Almost any kind of grease may be used (Petroleum or non-petroleum is fine)
4. Clean battery contacts with a pencil eraser if they get fouled to improve light output.

My thought is that with only 1.5V and very low current, *any* additional resistance is a problem, even from a microscopically thin coating of skin oil like fingerprints. You might try cleaning the battery ends with a tiny bit of alcohol and using alcohol on a Q-tip to clean the solder contact inside the head.

kinzli

Newly Enlightened
Thanks PB, however I had already cleaned it quite well, and it was clean to begin with, and yet the light still exhibits that problem /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Eric_M

Enlightened
Mine does the same thing. I will have to unscrew it completely and then it will work. I'm thinking that it can only be dirty threads for that to fix the problem.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
kinzli and Eric, please return those units. They are both LEs right?

I think this is a ground problem and we fixed it with the newer version.

Peter

Eric_M

Enlightened
Not an LE for me. Just a standard black AAA about 1 year old.

?????

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, it the older version. The new version (lengthwise inscription) has the carbon grease treatment. This has been proven to make the product noticably more reliable. And yes, we will replace it under warranty since it giving you trouble.

Peter

turbodog

Flashaholic
mine does almost the same thing... if i turn it rapidly off and on it will not turn on. i have to remove the head and then it will turn right on after screwing it back in.

Eric_M

Enlightened
Thanks Peter,

I'll send it out today.

Question, with the carbon grease treatment, do you not recommend lubricating the threads any more?

Thanks,

Eric

BobG

Newly Enlightened
I have a new (lengthwise inscription) AAA standard. It will sometimes not turn on, but backing off the head and turning a second time has never failed to get it to work. I thought it might have to do with the battery so I put another one in it and it still exhibits this condition about one out of ten attempts to turn it on. It doesn't really bother me. I also have 5 AAA premiums and none of those have ever acted like this (they all have the circumferential inscription)

Connor

Enlightened
BobG,

my ARC AAA UV (very old version) does the same .. every 20th time or so when I try to turn it on, it will not light up. Almost unscrewing the head and tightening it again helps every time. Maybe the foam retainer gets caught up between the battery and the head?

-Connor

turbodog

Flashaholic
I always thought it was a problem with residual charges in an internal capacitor that prevented the light from turning on. Sort of like old laser printers backfeeding into computers in yesteryears, preventing them from turning on.

paulr

Flashaholic
Is there a way to add the carbon grease treatment to my earlier unit (v 3.2, I think)? I'd rather not get the lengthwise inscription version /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif.

dtsoll

Enlightened
Jeff,
I sent you a PM about this, just to let you know!! Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BlindTiger

Newly Enlightened
so far this problem has not happened on my newer version arcs. the ones post chemkote. but the ones prior to chemkote did not turn on reliably after long term constant use. as in 8 hrs straight.
This applies to the white LED models not the colored LED.

paulr

Flashaholic
Mine has had some on/off problems with cheap non-alkaline batteries but not with Duracells. I figured it was the shape of the (flat) negative terminal on the cheap battery.

TheBeam

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Gransee said:The new version (lengthwise inscription) has the carbon grease treatment. This has been proven to make the product noticably more reliable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Peter,

Can you please explain this to us? I would like to know where to get some, how much to put, and where to put it.

T.i.a.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts