SureFire M2 with a quad or triple led dropin? We've seen C2's. How about this?

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the form factor of the M2. The body is the same but the head is a bit longer and has a greater heat absorbing
substantial than the C2.

Or so it seems, because the M2 has padding on this inside for shock absorption.

5d9itk.jpg

5yvuqg.jpg
<---
sany3809.jpg

Thoughts?

Last edited:

FPSRelic

Enlightened
This has been discussed before to some extent, with pretty much the same conclusion that you mentioned: that the shock isolation bezel of the M2, although good for protecting a fragile incandescent element, is pointless for LED drop ins, and in fact acts as an insulator for any heat to be vented from the light. Aditionally, some lumes of light are lost in the M2 as the drop in is recessed when compared to the C2.

The one practical benefit that you could get from it would be that it would accept longer drop ins without the usual gap. Apart from that and the fact that it looks cool, the best thing you can do with the M2 if you want to use LED drop ins with it is to replace the Z32 bezel with a Z44 from a C2. Either that or modify the Z32 bezel.

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
@ FPSRelic I've thought about wrapping the drop-in with copper wiring where thermally needed.

@ donn does your moddo need a spring for that bezel? Did you do any modifications to the pill or the inside of the bezel? If you did not, does the bezel heat up pretty fast? (indicating good heat transmission)

donn_

Flashaholic
No spring, and I wrapped the back of the pill with copper foil for good heat transfer to the head and top of the body. The heat from an LED doesn't go forward, so the shock-isolation gasket has no effect on heat transfer. The back of the head and the front of the body get warm first.