Tofty's Various Tritium Beads

Tofty

Enlightened
Hi all,
After reading some quite interesting threads about tritium beads i thought i'd have a go myself.

Instead of designing them to be machined i went down the 3D printing route to allow abit more flexibility. They should all be able to be printed in brass, silver and titanium + all kinds of plastics.

Here are just a few:

Bead2Render001.jpg

Alternative attachment lanyard stud which uses 6 of the 1.55x5mm tritium vials (12mm dia by 13mm, central pin 4mm dia by 6mm).

Bead3Render001.jpg
Bead3Render002.jpg

Simple non-cylindrical bead that takes 2 of the 2.5x10mm tritium vials (15.5x13.2x7.3mm, centre hole 5mm).

Bead4Render001.jpg
Bead4Render003.jpg
Bead4Render002.jpg

Bird Cage Vial holder, takes 12 off 2x8mm tritium vials (12mm dia by 11.5mm, centre hole 5mm).

If there is any interest i can offer these for 3D printing via some of the established 3D printing websites. Although it would require self installation of the vials.
I doubt the price would be anything other than obscene though.

Last edited:

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
You would think that there would be just so many ways to make a cord-pull. I like the second one.

samuraishot

Enlightened
I've been holding off in buying a tritium bead until I saw the pedal shaped one :cool:

nbp

Flashaholic
The way it's going you may end up with enough buyers to justify finding a machinist to actually whip up a batch of these. :eek:oo:

Tofty

Enlightened
Well with at least 10 likes in less than a day the "tritium Pedal" looks to be the clear winner.
I will order some prototypes in various materials to ensure the design is good then release it out into the world.

The way it's going you may end up with enough buyers to justify finding a machinist to actually whip up a batch of these. :eek:oo:

It's possible but the pedal would be quite hard to hold on a milling machine without a custom made holding jig and also getting the radiuses right would be time consuming.
I'll explain below why this should not be necessary.

Amazing. How does the 'printing' process work?

Right then. 3D printing is the continuation of what used to be known as "rapid prototyping".
There are many different production methods but i shall run through just a few of them to clarify things:
Some of the first machines would make a laminated paper block with each sheet having a 2D pattern cut into it to build a 3D model that was useful purely for display purposes.
The next versions used a photo-setting plastic or resin; a platform would sit in a pool of liquid plastic and a laser would harden some of the plastic into a model layer on the platform, the platform would then move down a tiny amount allowing more liquid plastic to cover the model then the laser repeats the process hardening another layer and so on until the model is complete. Again mainly cosmetic purposes but the models could be used to prove design acceptability.
Newer printers are now using a printing head to physically print with the desired material just as if it was ink.
Some materials offered in 3D printing are not actually printed but cast using a mold made around a 3D printed wax model.
To be honest wikipedia will give you a much better description of 3D printing as a whole.

There are a number of websites that will print one-offs or small runs at a fair price from an uploaded 3D model and they are what a plan to use.
Sites i have looked at are:
Shapeways,
i.materialise,
kraftwurx
These sites have shops attached that allow designers to provide their models for the public to order, earning themselves some design commision.
The model is then produced and shipped by the website.

Hope this clarifies things a bit.

Last edited:

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Tofty,

A small suggestion/enhancement if I may be so bold (I hope you dont mind)

A little side visibility?
toftys_pedal.jpg

The angles are not precise but I think you get the idea?

tgwnn

Denzel24

Newly Enlightened
Count me in for pedal as long as it available for shipping worldwide! :twothumbs

Latest posts