Black Diamond Storm Housing: are White/Black/Orange created equal?

Margotron

Newly Enlightened
Hello CPF:

Ive done some searching to no avail, and so here I am with a freshly registered account. Can anyone please inform me if all three housing colors on the BD Storm are created equal? That is, do they have equivalent throw/spot/glare? Or does the white bleed more than the orange, and in turn the black?

My inclination is that the black housing would be the best "headlamp" but I am curious if I am over thinking this. I ask because my Storm is orange, and there is some light bleeding through the orange housing.

Thanks!!!

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the orange Storm as well and I now kind of assume that black would be better in that regard but I don't know for sure.

I just covered the lower part of the housing with black electricians tape so I don't have that problem but the housing doesn't look as good with black tape on it of course.

So, no, I don't think you are over thinking it!

xenodrone

Newly Enlightened
Just in case you or anyone else looking for this answer is wondering, I have the black Storm, and there is no light bleeding through the case whatsoever that I can tell with either the two low power or the high power LED.
that would bug me too man, I just usually go with black anything if given the option. I guess another option other than tape might be to get some black paint and brush a few coats on the inside over the "leaky" areas.

DrHanz

Newly Enlightened
I tried the orange and the white versions, but I bought the black one, because it did have less light bleeding through the plastic onto my face.

Labradford

Newly Enlightened
no light gets through the black one; but the way the lens cover sticks out, there will always be a little glare no matter what color you get when the light is tilted down