novatac storm hack/crack/backdoor/easter egg help?

Jaiofspam

Newly Enlightened
just snagged one of these babies for $35 and was researching online on how to crack them and essentially turn my storm into a programmable 120p. tried doing 250 clicks but for some reason im unable to get it right. any help would greatly be appreciated :)

tolkaze

Enlightened
There are a few other threads around here with the same answers, but I will try and condense it for you. Most of this has been taken from http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-E-Models-CRACKED!-Back-Door-Easter-egg-found!

Since the Storm is essentially a 120P/120E/120T/120M clone, it runs a very similar (read: same) driver board. Not as robust, and definatly a little flaky, but it should work fine. Get used to clicking quickly, and make sure you get a positive click each time. If you miss, you will have to start again. Put aside an hour or so, since if you don't get it the first time, it could take quite a few tries. It is tricky, but you will get the hang of it and figure it out soon enough

The procedure to enter the options menu via the "back door" and enable "customization mode", is as follows...

1. Turn the light on to Primary brightness with a single click.

Pretty self explanatory, but make sure you have it off, and turn it on. Primary brightness is just the first one it starts on.

2. Click the button 250 or more times. (These clicks must be in rapid succession. The light should stay on Primary brightness during the 250 clicks.)

Mine was blinking and doing weird stuff, but the clicks do have to be rapid, like... more than 3 clicks per second. try and keep count, you are looking for at least 250 clicks, more is better, you will know when you get there, the light changes output slightly.
A few tricks I used were to make sure I had a grip that I could click 250+ times without changing grip, or slowing down. A slight pause and its all over, and you have to start again. Maybe consider clicking with bezel on a table or something. You will most likely need a few attempts at this, it is tricky.

3. After you have completed 250 or more clicks, hold the button down for one second (press). You have now entered the options menu. Your light should now be flashing to indicate Option 1 (emergency strobe).

Again, once the output changes at 250+ clicks, hold the button down. It will start flashing. make sure you know what flashes mean what option. It is important for the next step.

4. Click through the menu options until you get to the last option (Option 9: Ramping/Options Menu). This option, turns the ability to program the light on and off. This "customization mode" is turned OFF by default on the T and E models and ON by default on the P model.

Strobe is option one... you need option nine. Click eight more times

5. Select this option by holding the button down. (light will ramp up in brightness to indicate that you are selecting the option)

Ramping up means turning an option on, ramping down means turning an option off. option 9 turns on the customisation menu, if you turn the light off, or don't do this step, then the easter egg won't work, and you will have to start again.

6. Turn the light off. (single click)

Obviously

7. Done. You can now access the options menu with a Click-Click-Click-Press (as per P model), all options, brightness levels and strobes are now available to you. In fact, the light now behaves exactly as the NovaTac users manual for the P model describes.

Download the Novatac 120P manual, it will show you what the options are now.

Notes:

As I said before, 250+ clicks, not exactly 250... wait for the output to change, it may go from bright to dull, or from blinking on and off to constant light... then on the next click HOLD the button down.

Make sure you select option 9 then hold again to activate it. If you miss (overshoot) or choose the wrong one... you will have to start clicking again. I tried lots of times to get to the menu, and when I got there, I stuffed it up a few times. Keep trying, you will get it eventually.

Oh, and if you do fail, don't try again straight away, you will just end up getting tired and stuffing up the clicking. Have a break, do something else and try again. 250+ clicks that fast (and you have to make sure you click each and every time) will surely strain your hand.

Lastly, it CAN be done to a Storm, I have done it to mine, and as far as I know, they are exactly the same as before.

Jaiofspam

Newly Enlightened
lol im gonna try again in the morning, both my hands are on fire and the button looks to have seen better days :0
would you be willing to program it for me if i mailed it to ya?... along with a few $ for a beer or two on me of course ;)

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
lol im gonna try again in the morning, both my hands are on fire and the button looks to have seen better days :0
would you be willing to program it for me if i mailed it to ya?... along with a few $ for a beer or two on me of course ;)

If you run out of patience you can PM me for help on unlocking it if you like.

LOL, it is quite the forearm workout with all that clicking. :thumbsup:

These TWO are your best resources.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...E-Models-CRACKED!-Back-Door-Easter-egg-found!

http://files.bluecrow.net/flashlights/flowcharts/Novatac%20120P%20Flowchart%20v0.5.pdf

Last edited: