Newbie...my modest collection

Dan_GSR

Enlightened
PICT0206small.jpg

I'm new around here
I have been wanting a Surefire Aviator for about a year.
I was doing some research on flashlights, to find one that would fit my needs, and came across CPF.

I purchased an A2 on ebay, and received it on Monday.
I am very happy with the flashlight.
It is everthing I expected it to be.
The 2 AAA mag is from my girlfriend from about a year ago.
And the 2 D mag, I've had for quite some time.

I already have a couple lights i'd like to get:
Arc AAA
Inova X5
And i'd like to change the bulb on my 2D mag.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to the best forum going Dan, you have already got a good start with the A2, there are xenon bulbs for the d cell mags and in our modders forum we have several LED conversions for the MM, there are everleds for the d cells and some thoroughbred LED mods that will put out enough light for Ray Charles or Stevie Wonder to read by. Have fun and remember the forums unofficial motto- buy em both.

HunterSon

Enlightened
Welcome Dan!

I see you have jumped in head first and bought a top of the line light. No sence in wading in slowly to see how the water is, you are going to get pulled in anyway. You will love any Arc you buy and Inova makes a high quality product as well. I am trying to save up for a Surefire L5, if I can sneak it by my wife.

Happy Illuminating!
Dave

Dan_GSR

Enlightened
yeah... I learned from collecting knives

you get what you pay for

once you get into custom knives....productions don't seem so enticing

sigp6

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Dan_GSR said:
I hope this doesn't get out of hand like my knife collecting did

[/ QUOTE ]

It will, don't worry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oooo, all these newbies with their fancy SF's! Had I known that I had been (in reality) collecting for 20 years, I might have one by now too. Musta been in denial - but not anymore. I have a hunch that Santa might come early. Hopefully Fed X will come when Wifie isn't at home.

WELCOME Dan GSR!

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome, Dan! I have a 2D Mag also, and I put a Versalux PR-2 LED bulb in it, which suits my needs. I bought a few of those and they found good homes. You can find them at www.techass.com and I am just a happy customer. Even if I used regular bulbs or a luxeon dropin, I would still have one of these in the tailcap as a spare. Decently bright and very long runtime. The only drawback, is you are stuck with alkaline batteries with these, as anything else will overheat and destroy the LED. Of course, with alkaline D cells, the runtime is so long, that rechargables would be a waste. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have an X5T White, and love it. I also have one Surefire: L4 and really love it. No Arc AAA here, though I have 3 Arc LSes, until the LS4 comes out.

I have more headlamps than flashlights (for now).

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
The A2 is an interesting piece Dan. Although I do not possess an A2 Aviator but for people like me who frequently camp out, and who loves reading, the 3 lumens LED light do make sense. I am owner of an SF M2 Millennium and Streamlight Scorpion. I purchased a KL3 LED for my M2 but it is now sent back to SF for repair. How it spoil I do not know, it just failed to work even after changing batts.

Just 2 days ago I had a new toy... the X5T White. For the small size and sleek design, combined with the relatively bright LED, I fell in love with it instantly. One thing to take note though, it does heat up pretty fast. I was doing my reading and the light was only on for about 20 mins when I felt heat building up at the tip where the LEDs are. Of cause, it can never be as hot as my SF or Scorpion.

Regards,

Andy Ho
Singapore

B@rt

Flashaholic
fc3d9dd8.gif

Hey Dan, welcome to CPF! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hang on to your wallet with all the LED goodies coming.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
The stainless steel tip of the X5T is a heatsink, as the LEDs are overdriven. That tells you it is pulling heat away from the LEDs. Don't worry about it.