(Updated) Beam shots, including Spy 007 XPG, Alpha Blue Label and Malkoff Wildcat

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi folks - at the beach for the weekend and brought a few lights down - including a few old favorites and a few new - even a couple of "exotics."

All photos un-retouched - camera is a Canon 40D with a Sigma F2.8 18-50

Shutter at 2 seconds - ISO at 400 - f/4.0 - with the exception of the daytime shot.

Lights are labeled - most are well known, with the exception of the Niwalker which I 'introduced and abused' over here. All lights were on their highest setting.

Here's a daylight view of the lighted area - pay particular attention to the green plants in the foreground and the end of the dock in the background
IMG_7382.JPG

Now the same view after dark
IMG_7383.JPG

Up first - an old favorite. Outclassed here, but still a great little light. The Surefire E2E - totally stock running on 2 Surefire primaries

Surefire.jpg

IMG_7390.JPG

Here's an interesting little light - a legacy HDS Clicky 170 that I modified with a Nichia 219 emitter...a bit warm for me, but some of you may love this....

Clicky.jpg

IMG_7391.JPG

Here's perhaps my favorite beam shape and tint from my entire collection - the Prometheus Alpha Blue Label, 4500k MC-E emitter. Beautiful floody beam!! I've said before that this is the best beam I've ever seen...

Alpha.jpg

IMG_7392.JPG

Here's an exotic for you - and this is my 24/7 EDC. The amazing Cool Fall Spy 007, this one with a cool XPG. Please learn more about this TINY light over here...

Spy.jpg

IMG_7393.JPG

And a relative unknown, the Niwalker NWK550. An XML Throw Monster. Again, I abused it HERE

Niwalker.jpg

IMG_7394.JPG

HOLY COW. This thing is a beast. Malkoff quality, one of the most pure white beams I've seen in quite a while, and a veritable powerhouse of a light. I LOVE this thing - it has a great low - around 44 lumen on mine, but on high this thing imposes its light on every nook and cranny. Love it. I measure 1308 OTF lumen from mine within 10-15 seconds of turn on.

Malkoff.jpg

IMG_7395.JPG

Here's a short video of all the shots above - sometimes it's easier to compare

Hope you enjoyed it!

lovecpf

Last edited:

diesel79

Enlightened
Re: A few beam shots, including Spy 007 XPG, Alpha Blue Label and Malkoff Wildcat

VERY NICE! Thanks:thumbsup:

candor

Newly Enlightened
Re: A few beam shots, including Spy 007 XPG, Alpha Blue Label and Malkoff Wildcat

Here's a short video of all the shots above - sometimes it's easier to compare

The transitions in the video are incredibly helpful. Thanks for putting it together.

blackbalsam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Dan, I always have to look at your post. Always very interesting and informative. So glad your a member of CPF.....Robert.

sgt253

Enlightened

run4jc,
Thanks for your beamshots and the video. Man, I am going to have to sell something...to add a couple more...lol.

Regards.

Up All Night

Enlightened

The transitions in the video are incredibly helpful. Thanks for putting it together.

+1! Couldn't agree more. Very helpful indeed!

run4jc,
Always look forward to your pics! I've seen this view so often I feel like I've been there.:thumbsup: Many thanks!
Mr.Malkoff has really let his freak fly on this one!

scout24

Flashaholic

Great shots as always, Dan. Thanks! I feel bad for that poor bush in the foreground, though. Lumens burn! :)

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very cool comparison Dan!! Missed seeing the useful beamshots you take. Never heard of the Alpha until now! Shows how long I have been away. :)

nbp

Flashaholic

Welcome back Steve, I was wondering where you had been. Don't worry, we saved you a place. :)

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's awesome! The Malkoff wildcat is the new one right with three xpg2?

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes indeed! Just received it a couple of days ago. Using an MD4 body with 2 AW 2900mAh 18650 cells....

:thumbsup:
Thats awesome, thanks bud! I'll have to get one

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast

your hds with nichia 219 looks oddly warm, even more so than your stock e2e. i have 4 lights with the 219, and all are very neutral white.

that malkoff wildcat is amazing! thanks for another set of great beamshots.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
your hds with nichia 219 looks oddly warm, even more so than your stock e2e. i have 4 lights with the 219, and all are very neutral white.

that malkoff wildcat is amazing! thanks for another set of great beamshots.

Yeah - I'm thinking it's a bad batch or I ordered the wrong bin. Definitely a 219, though. I have a number of 219 lights that are much more neutral than this! If anyone likes the warm tints, I have a few of these emitters.

And thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast

I always enjoy these threads of yours Dan, thanks a lot for taking the time to do them!

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the work Dan! While the new wildcat was a "wow" the one that surprised me the most was the spy 007, good throw for a small light.

I'm waiting for Jason to come back so I can get a light like yours from him.

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast

Excellent comparison, thank you. Do you maybe know the estimated runtime on the Wildcat with two 18650 (low and high)? Thank you.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Excellent comparison, thank you. Do you maybe know the estimated runtime on the Wildcat with two 18650 (low and high)? Thank you.

I'm sorry - I do not...Malkoff estimates 45 minutes to an hour on two 1500mAh batteries, so I'm guessing maybe an hour and a half on 2 2900mAh? On low is anyone's guess, but my guess would be 20-24 hours or more.

The low beam is very useful up to 15-20 feet, but whew - crank up the high and light a football field! Seriously! :eek:

scout24

Flashaholic

Dan- You weren't kidding about the Wildcat- awesome pure white beam and BRIGHT! :) Got mine today (head only) charged up a pair of 18350's and popped it on my MD2 body. I'll be ordering the longer tube soon, but for now this is nice and compact, and will do nicely for puppy walking. 40ish lumens for general use, and 1300 for "what was that!" :eek: :twothumbs