SureFire N2 vs. MN15

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently purchased a KT1. It came with an N1.
I ordered a MN15 as an additional bulb with the impression that it would work just fine in the KT1.

The MN15 that came was off-center quite a bit and projected a poor beam. I contacted SureFire and they are sending me a replacement MN15.

BUT...the problem is in this email I got from SureFire:
Will the MN15 be an almost perfect circle like the N1? Or, will it be an oval shape? It will be used in a KT1 turbohead.

SureFire's answer:
The MN15 will not fit in a KT1 turbo head as it is longer than the N1.

Is this correct? Can anyone confirm/deny this? Am I limited to using JUST the N1 & N2 in the KT1 instead of being able to use the N1, N2, MN15 & MN16?

Size15's

Flashaholic
What they mean is that the spring contacts are different between the Millennium TurboHead Lamp Assemblies and the Classic "N" TurboHead Lamp Assemblies.

The MN15 should produce a very flat squashed oval almost "bar" of light rather than the round beam of the N2.
This is normal and due to the shape of the filament and the reflector's ability to gather light from a filament that is longer than that of the N2's. That's one of the reasons I think the MN15 has 20 Lumens more than the N2's 105Lu.

I don't like the beam of the MN15. I prefer the N2 and MN16 beams. I also don't like the beam of the MN10 in the M3 as I prefer the larger, less squashed beam of the MN11.

Al

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
Did they actually ship you an N2? These bulbs are supposedly on EXTREME backorder. The SRTH uses them, and I really want a spare for mine...

Size15's

Flashaholic
The KT and Millennium TurboHead reflectors are the same.
The SRTH and 3" TurboHeads are less dimpled to take advantage of the shorter, thinner filaments of the N Lamps.
The MN lamps have longer and thicker filaments that require more scattering to create the pure beam. The curved filaments of the MN10 and MN15 (same bulb) are designed to get the most light into the beam from the M3 reflector.

Al

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dang, Al, have you thought about writing all this stuff down in a booklet and selling it?

I really dig your idea for the screw on protective caps for the spare heads. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

BC

Size15's

Flashaholic
If I wrote it down in a Booklet then I wouldn't have to keep repeating myself would I?

If I wrote it down then somebody could check it and I wouldn't keep making the same mistakes over and over again...

Al

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:
The KT and Millennium TurboHead reflectors are the same.
The SRTH and 3" TurboHeads are less dimpled to take advantage of the shorter, thinner filaments of the N Lamps.
The MN lamps have longer and thicker filaments that require more scattering to create the pure beam. The curved filaments of the MN10 and MN15 (same bulb) are designed to get the most light into the beam from the M3 reflector.

Al

[/ QUOTE ]

Al,

You're pointing out an important relationship between filament size and reflector texturing (and by extension their effect on throw) that I've never seen mentioned on CPF before, except in one of your previous posts.

Brightnorm

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
LEDmodman...yes, the guy I've been corresponding with said they are sending me a N2 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Al...thanks for the info and the picts...

So, if I want to preserve the roundest beam possible, my choices for the KT1 are: N1, N2 and MN16 or just the N1 & N2?

What are the specs on the MN16?

Also, if I add an A19 to my C3, what bulb options do I have? Or is that not allowed?

[edited for grammar /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif]

Size15's

Flashaholic
The most round beams in my experience are the N1, N2, N3, N4, N5 and N62. The N3 and N62 being some of the very best I have in the 3" T TurboHeads.

The MN16 is 225Lu/20min and is not round but is less squished than the MN15 in my experience.

If you ad an A19 to your C3 you get one of the most ugly SureFires ever but you have the MN60, MN61 or N62 to pick from. Personally, I prefer the N62 in the T, SRTH or 12PM TurboHead and the MN61 in the Millennium TurboHead.
It is best not to power the N62 in a SureFire will too many joints (like a 6P with 2 A19's) because the resistance will cut the output/runtime. Actually, this is something to consider when running the High Output Lamp Assemblies in general.

Al

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:
It is best not to power the N62 in a SureFire will too many joints (like a 6P with 2 A19's) because the resistance will cut the output/runtime. Actually, this is something to consider when running the High Output Lamp Assemblies in general.

Al

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow... never thought of this one. How much of a difference does those extra joints make in runtime/output? Thanks

-Mike

Size15's

Flashaholic
It means in my experience that the maximum output isn't maintained for as long. I notice a yellowing of the beam sooner compared to running lamps in the 12PM and M4 bodies.

Al

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, hopefully the guy at SureFire is right and I've got one on it's way to me right now. If so, I'll post if/when I get it.

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I should have one or two on the way to me now too (I'm hoping), and my have an extra when they arrive. I'll keep everyone posted when they arrive.

-Mike

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool...thanks for the update Xrunner. I will probably be interested in getting a N2 from you if/when you get them.