NItecore EC1 = Less than quality experience

edacsac

Newly Enlightened
Just in case anyone is thinking about purchasing from the explorer series. The light is cool, the light is bright enough and overall it was worth the price... for almost an hour.

the first glitch happened after turning on the red LED. After that, nothing worked as it was supposed to: I couldn't turn the light off; I'd initiate lockout, and it would proceed to indicate voltage and complete lockout with the light still on. Sometimes trying to set lockout would send it into strobe. I currently cannot turn the light off without loosening the cap. It flickers kinda weird when it gets itself messed up, the power button will change modes instead of on/off. It's just a mess. Poor product to say the least.

I jumped in with all the excitement and couldn't wait to get my new light, and it's just a steaming pile. I'm not sure if I got jacked by the retailer, since the box didn't seem as awesome and closed as a box on a new product should be, but I will let them respond to the situation before I name names, since they are a recommended retailer here..

But of all the hobbies (not buying a light as a hobby, but I can see how it goes there), this one has been the most disappointing. I touched my toe in the water and got bitten hard right off the bat.

I did get some new batteries, and I used one in my old old fenix p10 that was flaking out, and it's much better. Maybe I don't need a new light after all, although I was anticipating some enjoyment like many seem to have here.

Oh well.

Last edited:

Phil Ament

Enlightened
Re: NItecore EC1 = Junk

edacsac

How long have you had it for because the Nitecore 18 month warranty has DOA replacement for the first 14 days from purchase.

edacsac

Newly Enlightened

Not yet 24 hours. I'm expecting/hoping the retailer to handle it though. I don't have any intention of dealing with China (if that's how it works from what I've read). It began malfunctioning within the first hour out of the box.

It's the same way in photography; you have to buy/return multiple copies of a multi-hundred dollar lens before you get one that performs to expectations.

Phil Ament

Enlightened

In the Warranty Service part of my EC1 User Manual it states: All Nitecore products are warranted for quality. DOA/defective products can be exchanged for replacement through a local distributor/dealer within the 14 days of purchase.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast

you have to buy/return multiple copies of a multi-hundred dollar lens before you get one that performs to expectations.

may be the same with CREE manufactured and QC'ed LED's.

Kingfisher

Enlightened

No problems with mine as yet - I'm lovin this little beast. My favourite small light to date...

I once had a Surefire that broke on the first day, but I didn't come round here rubishing them. Looks like you may have a faulty one - use your warrranty.

edacsac

Newly Enlightened

No problems with mine as yet - I'm lovin this little beast. My favourite small light to date...

I once had a Surefire that broke on the first day, but I didn't come round here rubishing them. Looks like you may have a faulty one - use your warrranty.

Not really rubbishing them. For the price, I expect it work, and appreciate companies who sell items that work. None of this calculated failure/ deal with during service BS. If you folks don't mind wasting time with warranty and not having an item you ordered when you need it, more power to you.

I bought this light for a specific use this weekend. Now I don't have the light for this weekend and I'm going to have to figure something else out, and the retailer is going to lose this sale because I have to come up with an alternate plan and consequently won't be needing the replacement.

Ya, I went through this with camera lenses too. Buy a specific lens for a specific job, and it doesn't focus properly. Not enough time left to RMA the lens, and end up buying a few copies from different retailers and returning them all but the one that works properly after the job. Poor manufacturing jerks everyone down the line. It's not right, and shouldn't be accepted.

Last edited:

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ya, I went through this with camera lenses too. Buy a specific lens for a specific job, and it doesn't focus properly. Not enough time left to RMA the lens, and end up buying a few copies from different retailers and returning them all but the one that works properly after the job. Poor manufacturing jerks everyone down the line. It's not right, and shouldn't be accepted.

Ain't that the truth. Mirrors my experience with factory DSLR lenses.

edacsac

Newly Enlightened

I guess I should just fall in line and be happy there is a warranty. I don't buy much that isn't a necessity anymore for this very reason, and each time I do, it just reinforces the reasons I stay away from needless material goods.

Jida

Newly Enlightened

Well yeah, if you are going to quote what he posted then I can see how you might see he is rubbishing them.

edacsac

Newly Enlightened

I could change it to "nitecore = toy". :)

Nah, that's bad. I'll keep trying until I find an awesome light I suppose. There are folks that like this light.

Last edited:

Kingfisher

Enlightened
the first glitch happened after turning on the red LED. After that, nothing worked as it was supposed to: I couldn't turn the light off; I'd initiate lockout, and it would proceed to indicate voltage and complete lockout with the light still on. Sometimes trying to set lockout would send it into strobe. I currently cannot turn the light off without loosening the cap. It flickers kinda weird when it gets itself messed up, the power button will change modes instead of on/off. It's just a mess.

Maybe you need to read the manual properly. :naughty:

Norm

Retired Administrator
The first thing you need to do is contact the reseller and try to resolve your problems with the light before opening a new thread just to denigrate the company your statement is harsh based on a sample of one light "NItecore EC1 = Junk".

You may well have received a faulty light, it can happen with any manufacturer and that's very disappointing.

The important thing now is how well the issue is resolved.

Norm

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can buy anything that can be defective. It is not the resellers fault if the light is bad. You cannot expect them to open every package they sell, test it, then ship it to you. It is their responsibility to take care of you when they do sell you a bad item though, within their return policy, and I am sure you will be taken care of. Just because you bought a defective item, does not mean they all are. I know you are dissappointed. I would be too if my new toy was bad!! :mad: :sigh: You may want to give the light another chance and try another one if you really like what it has to offer!

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
You cannot expect them to open every package they sell, test it, then ship it to you. It is their responsibility
when i order from an authorized dealer, i always ask her/him (at least this: ask!!) to inspect the light thoroughly (aspects like LED centricity, flawless clean reflector, non-greenish tint, no debris din dome, UI functionality, no obvious cosmetic imperfections) before she/he bags the unit, so that she/he can avoid from the very beginning to send out a unit with which i would be displeased otherwise (e.g. in a retail shop). because when i sell used flashlights to forum members, i do exactly the same (and even take photos/videos of it prior to bagging).

at the same time, if the dealer cannot provide (video) proof that she/he bagged a flawless unit, this whole procedure is useless .. because how could you trust someone (and business is business!!) whom you've never met before in life and who lives 2 oceans apart from one's place?

And even if you trust the dealer (for whatever reason you have in favor of her/him), this is no guarantee or proof that she/he really did bag a flawless copy.

Yes, there is lots of manufacturing variance between production samples, so if one can afford it, better order several samples, pick the most flawless unit, and then return all other samples to the dealer.

biglights

Enlightened
Yes, there is lots of manufacturing variance between production samples, so if one can afford it, better order several samples, pick the most flawless unit, and then return all other samples to the dealer.

This way seems a little dishonest to me. Looks like someone else will be getting a used "new" light after they have been returned to the dealer. If there is actually something wrong with the light then return it, not just pick the best one that you like. Shady....