Problems with XML drop in?

d.weglarz13

Enlightened
Hey guys, haven't been around too much lately, due to work hours. So, got a quick question. A few months ago, I got a SolarForce L2T, along with a custom drop in from NailBender, that was XML T6 3 level led, with 650 lumens!!! Well, need i say this thing was SUPER bright. But, now i realize, after a few months of using, (not everyday, but at least few times a week), it is NOT as bright at all. I would say its down to about 350-450 lumens now. So, is this normal for such a bright drop in? Or should I contact NB (anyone have his contact info?) and see what he says? I really loved this light, but perhaps it was too powerful and not meant to last too long? thanks for any advice.

dave

Brisse

Newly Enlightened
650 lumens is a very modest job for the XM-L T6 and lifetime should not be a problem.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys, haven't been around too much lately, due to work hours. So, got a quick question. A few months ago, I got a SolarForce L2T, along with a custom drop in from NailBender, that was XML T6 3 level led, with 650 lumens!!! Well, need i say this thing was SUPER bright. But, now i realize, after a few months of using, (not everyday, but at least few times a week), it is NOT as bright at all. I would say its down to about 350-450 lumens now. So, is this normal for such a bright drop in? Or should I contact NB (anyone have his contact info?) and see what he says? I really loved this light, but perhaps it was too powerful and not meant to last too long? thanks for any advice.

dave

Some dumb questions:

1. Is the battery charged? 650 lumens can take about 2 amps. Is the battery capable of delivering that 2 amps? AW's cells are high quality, but others are not so much.
2. Is the switch ok? Switches can get dirty. Clean the threads and contact ring, see if that helps. Also, a dodgy switch can sometimes double-click, getting you straight to mode 2 - which may be 'medium' instead of 'high.' Take the tailcap off and run a wire from a fresh installed battery (-) to the shiny rear of the flashlight tube. Golden? Clean the switch contacts.
3. heat sinking. Is the dropin snug? If it can heat up, it can dim quite a bit.

It should maintain brightness; usually a power supply problem is the first thing to weaken it.

d.weglarz13

Enlightened
Well, i run it on primaries....unfortunately, because i haven't gotten around to buying a nice setup yet. So, they are new batteries......but, i will try cleaning the contacts now.....

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, i run it on primaries....unfortunately, because i haven't gotten around to buying a nice setup yet. So, they are new batteries......but, i will try cleaning the contacts now.....

Call me crazy, but I assume this is a dropin rated to accept over 6v?

d.weglarz13

Enlightened
Well, im not sure. I think if i remember correctly, e recall something about 3v. But, i have the sticker that came on the drop in, and it says "2.8v-6v", so yea. Does this make a difference?

oh, and what can I use to clean the contacts? Im all out of rubbing alcohol....

dave

Last edited: