Icon lights still in business?

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not trying to start any rumors, but I haven't been able to connect to their website (myiconlight.com), for close to a week, and there have been several unbelievably good sale prices lately at different places lately. Has anyone heard anything?

Ezeriel

Enlightened
I'm not trying to start any rumors, but I haven't been able to connect to their website (myiconlight.com), for close to a week, and there have been several unbelievably good sale prices lately at different places lately. Has anyone heard anything?

I wouldn't be surprised.... what makes surefire, "surefire" is the name.. no one ever heard of "Icon"

The rogue 2 is a 100 lumen 2aa light with a 3 hour runtime...

You can get twice that runtime from an LD22; the Icons won't be missed.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own two Rogues, and two Rogue 2's. They are great lights and I would miss them! They are one of the last brands of quality lights you can buy in brick and mortar stores. Maybe THE last since Target stopped selling Inovas.

soloz2

Newly Enlightened
I too would be discappointed if Icon is no longer around. I picked up two rogue 2's on woot a few weeks back and love them! They were my first non-maglight 'good' flashlights. Having a good light handy got me looking for an EDC and I remembered that I had a maglite solitaire. I started carrying it and now have a fenix ld01 r4 on the way. :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Retinator

Enlightened
Maybe they have new models and are redoing the site? I like their asthetics. Specs are nothing special, but they work good, look good too.

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know a lot about this, but isn't it possible to prepare webpages off-line, and then make the changeover fairly quickly? I got my Woot order recently, too. The Rogue 1 still has the lanyard, but the Rogue 2 doesn't, and has a slightly higher high, and looks rounder, with less 'sharp' edges. No lanyard for either Modus. I should have gotten more IRIX 1&2 headlamps.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one of the first Icon lights and find the switch easy to use and the light sufficient. If you can find one, buy it.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like my green Rogue 1. It's not the brightest, it's not the smallest and it's not the most sophisticated, but I love the looks!

$18 from B.J., so I can't complain.

Chris

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know a lot about this, but isn't it possible to prepare webpages off-line, and then make the changeover fairly quickly? I got my Woot order recently, too. The Rogue 1 still has the lanyard, but the Rogue 2 doesn't, and has a slightly higher high, and looks rounder, with less 'sharp' edges. No lanyard for either Modus. I should have gotten more IRIX 1&2 headlamps.

Both Rogues used to come with a very nicely made lanyard. Evidently, they made some slight changes to the later production models and also stopped incuding the lanyard with the light.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just remembered that they make the coolest looking 2AAA light I own! The two mode Icon Solo! A good place to start looking for these in stores right now is Radio Shack. They have several models on closeout. They are not marked down as low as some of the online deals some of you got, but they are easy access!!

Abbot

Newly Enlightened
: Even with the minor issues, it has a very unique design for a 2xAA light that I like.
There is a sizeable difference between high and low mode which is a plus.
Buy one!

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for getting back to us with the offical word, AardvarkSagus!

Burgess

Flashaholic
Hmmm . . . .

The cynic in me sez:

this NO means YES.

:whistle:
_

UPDATE - 10/04/2012 . . . .

Yep !

The cynic in me was Absolutely Correct ! ! !

:awman:

_

Last edited:

gorn

Enlightened
Interesting. It's now October and the Icon web page is still MIA. I have an Irix headlamp that is about 3 weeks old. It worked great up until today. It just quit powering on. I changed out the eneloop for a fresh one and then tried a nonrecharable AA, still nothing. I got this thing at a great price, but it won't be so great if I have no way to get it repaired under it's 1 year warranty.

gorn

Enlightened
I called Surefire to see if they could give me some contact info for Icon. They told me that Icon has been shut down. So, if you are like me and bought lots of Icon lights recently from WOOT you should cross your fingers that all the lights aren't as poorly made as this one was. I'm hoping this falls into the electronics burn in failures. I can accept that. So far I've had no other problems with the other Icons I have used.

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
When Icons first started going on sale I bought a Rogue 1 and 2 from Micro Center to check them out... they were nice, but I ended up giving them away to people. I just recently replaced them with a Rogue 1 and a Modus 1 for glove compartment use. Really good lights for the price... I like the Rogue 1 much better than the Modus, though. The Modus is more comfortable in hand, but the Rogues have a better beam.

I wouldn't be surprised.... what makes surefire, "surefire" is the name.. no one ever heard of "Icon"

...and no one heard of Surefire (or Laser Products) when they first came out either. They built a following over time.

the Icons won't be missed.

For me it is sad when any flashlight company goes out of business, whether I own any of their lights or not. I really like flashlights, so I think having a variety and lots of choices is a good thing. If there were only one or two flashlight companies out there, I'm sure this forum would not be around! :)

stp

Newly Enlightened
Well . . . .

There are Only Two makers of Swiss Army Knives out there,
and yet they still have a forum.

:whistle:
_

Not really, Wenger had financial problems and currently belongs to Victorinox AFAIK. So it makes it just one maker :laughing: