LD20 or QP2A ?

DonK

Enlightened
Tryng to decide between these two AA powered lights. Both use same XP-G R5 emitter, but runtimes (efficiency ?) seems to be slightly better on the Fenix - it is also a few $ cheaper.

Quark has the nice low 0.2 lumen mode, which I suspect is useful for reading maps in car at night.

Fenix seems to be a lot better at the high end 180 lumens for 2.25 hrs v 205 lumens for just 1.3 hrs on the Quark.

I know Fenix have a reputation for good regulation without flicker. What about the Quark ?

Have I missed something ?

Ezeriel

Enlightened
this thread could get ugly real fast..... I'd go LD22/LD20, then... then if I had to.. the quark

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix is going to be slightly more efficient due to its narrower voltage range circuits, you might even have some problems running 2 x lithium primaries (L91s) which are around 1.7v out of the box, until they've run down a bit. The Quark will run up to 4.2v (or 1 x Li-ion) with no problems.

In addition, the Quark has the advantage of an ultra-efficient moonlight mode, lego-ability (different battery configs and clicky options), much longer warranty, HQ and good customer service in the US, and stronger clip.

If you do consider the Quark, I'd go to the XML since it is brighter (280 lumens) and with better high end efficiency. Most importantly, they've solved the pre-flash issue that the XPGs have had.

The Fenix is said to have better build quality, but I always choose FourSevens over Fenix, so I cannot comment. My Quark AAX on a 14500 is my favorite, but I'm a low lumen/long runtime enthusiast.

Last edited:

DonK

Enlightened
Yeah, I looked at the 280 lumen model (Quark) bit runtime is down to 0.8 hrs on max. Seemed a bit short.

I like Sunwayman lights too - but some odd user intrface options - I already have 2 and find the magnetic switch a little vague -very nice beams and build quality though

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I looked at the 280 lumen model (Quark) bit runtime is down to 0.8 hrs on max. Seemed a bit short.

I like Sunwayman lights too - but some odd user intrface options - I already have 2 and find the magnetic switch a little vague -very nice beams and build quality though

runtime is shorter coz it's brighter. no free lunch

but if you use a lower level to match the max of the fenix, the quark will have more runtime due to the efficiency advantage of the XM-L driven at lower currents.

and if you get a quark AA body tube you will transform that into a very compact EDC with full lithium ion compatiblity

hands down the quark is better

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have 763 posts and i am telling you the quark is better.
hope this helps.

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
If you're going to throw it against a wall, run over it with your car or use it as a crowbar, the Fenix is likely a better option. If you want versatility in output, the Quark will give you a lower, low, etc.

pinetree89

Enlightened
I have both these lights. The way I see it it's all positives for both lights, just choose the features you want.

QP2A:
more floody
wider input voltage range up to 4.2v
can Lego with other quark models
moonlight mode

LD20:
more throw than QP2A
better efficiency runtime
threads and annoidization slightly better in my experience

UpstandingCitizen

Enlightened
I'd get the Quark 2xAA XP-G, as the runtime at turbo on the Quark 2xAA XM-L model is too short for my liking.

Also, contrary to what another poster said, the XP-G emitter is much more efficient than the XM-L emitter at lower levels. For example, the Quark 2xAA XP-G does 4 lumens for 5 days, whereas the 2xAA XM-L does 2.7 lumens for 3 days. And another example: the Quark 2xAA XP-G does 0.2 lumens for 30 days, whereas the 2xAA XM-L does 0.3 lumens for 15 days.

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd get the Quark 2xAA XP-G, as the runtime at turbo on the Quark 2xAA XM-L model is too short for my liking.

Also, contrary to what another poster said, the XP-G emitter is much more efficient than the XM-L emitter at lower levels. For example, the Quark 2xAA XP-G does 4 lumens for 5 days, whereas the 2xAA XM-L does 2.7 lumens for 3 days. And another example: the Quark 2xAA XP-G does 0.2 lumens for 30 days, whereas the 2xAA XM-L does 0.3 lumens for 15 days.

actually the quark 2AA XM-L runs LONGER than the xp-g version when running eneloops, both at turbo, based on my own testing. 4sevens published specs are based on the supplied alkalines

quark XM-L aa2, 1:20
quark XP-G aa2, 1:14

bear in mind the XM-L version steps down from an initial ~400 lumens down to 280 after 3mins.

280 lumens is still more than the 205 lumens that the xp-g version puts out

in other words the XM-L version puts out more light for a longer time

DonK

Enlightened
Thanks for all the input fellas. I went ahead and ordered the LD20 for a couple of reasons

1) - I seen some talk on the internet (reliable ?) that 4sevens have been having QC problems - especially with threads.

2) - The newer Fenix model has the side change button, and I don't like that feature, so I figure that I'll try the old model while I can still get one. If I don't like it I can order a 4sevens and give the Fenix to a friend or ralative

I've been very happy with other Fenix products - it seems that some good products do slip out of China now and then :)

Sound like a good strategy ?

bushmattster

Newly Enlightened
Get both, I did. Can't have to many general purpose AA lights. I like them both. Pros and cons have been discussed here already.

Good luck on your purchase.

Last edited:

DonK

Enlightened
Good point - if I really detest one compared to the other - gift time :)

I have a Fenix E21 and that is a very good general purpose AA light - robust and reliable - but no super low mode.

dbx

Newly Enlightened
Tryng to decide between these two AA powered lights. Both use same XP-G R5 emitter, but runtimes (efficiency ?) seems to be slightly better on the Fenix - it is also a few $ cheaper.

Quark has the nice low 0.2 lumen mode, which I suspect is useful for reading maps in car at night.

Fenix seems to be a lot better at the high end 180 lumens for 2.25 hrs v 205 lumens for just 1.3 hrs on the Quark.

I know Fenix have a reputation for good regulation without flicker. What about the Quark ?

Have I missed something ?

I've been using my QP2A-AA for about a year now. I love the moonlight setting! I've experienced no issues with flicker.