Has anyone sputtered the reflector on their LED Mag ?

jacktheclipper

Enlightened
I dislike the throw heavy beam profile on the current generation of LED Mags . I believe that sputtering the reflector would even out the beam and produce more spill and a more diffuse hotspot so that the light would be more useful for close up work .

Comparitive beammshots would be great , but any decent description will be greatly appreciated .

:D Thanks .

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sputtered the Mag LED, but have done several others. Start slow. Just a little clear spray. Test it to see if you want to add more. My first sputtering job ruined a reflector because I sprayed too much. It will help the beam, but you will lose a little brightness. Mask the LED!

*Sputtering is spraying clear paint on the reflector to give the reflector an orange peel effect.

jacktheclipper

Enlightened
Ah , sorry . "Sputtering" refers to a light uneven coating of a clear laquer on the reflector .
The effect created mimics a ' light orange peel ' effect . Most people use a mist of clear polyurethane . I want to know if the beam profile could be changed to be more floody ...

EDIT : HotWire beat me to it .

Last edited:

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm in a unique situation where I can set up one MagLED with a sputtered reflector and one stock. Give me some time to set it up and get some pictures up. Dinner, first, though!

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry for the delay. Here are three pictures that represent the stock Rebel MagLED, the sputtered reflector, then either reflector with diffusion film over the lens:

d7212024.jpg

e8216df1.jpg

21f99800.jpg

What my iPhone could barely make out is that the stock setup has artifacts in the beam that the sputtering removed. The hotspot is roughly the same, but, the transition to the corona then to the spill are smoother. The big difference came when I put the diffusion film onto the lens. It didn't matter which reflector I had on there the results were the same: a hotspot and lots of spill. The spill is about 5 times brighter than before and the hotspot is the size of the corona of the unmodified reflector/lens setup.

jacktheclipper

Enlightened
Thank you so much for your time and effort PCC . It would seem to me , looking at your photos , that the hotspot is still quite bright after sputtering . It looks like I will have to use a diffusion film to get a more all-rounder type of beam profile .

Thanks again .:twothumbs