Philips D2S, Osram D2S, can it be substituted?

Astronula

Newly Enlightened
Ive heard of a bulb called the MPXL-DL50. Can this bulb replace either the Osram D2S or Philips D2S? I was looking fro something more powerful (if possible) to fit into a 35/50W ballast, any others?

phyhsuts

Enlightened
The MPXL seems to be the non automotive version of the D2 series lamps. The MPXL 50 looks like just the same lamp rated at 50W. Notice that lamp life is shorter. Mechanical parameters remain the same as the 35W version. Luminous O/P is increased with the increased electrical input. Philips just gives data for the same lamp operated at a 50W input I suspect. Notice that Osram has the HTI S35/12 but no 50W version. KenRad sells a 35/50W ballast that is designed to work with D2 lamps at both power ratings.

Astronula

Newly Enlightened
I have a couple of questions

Would it be wort hit to buy the MPXL-DL50 to get the 5600lumens versus the 3200lumens you get from the D2S?

What would be brighter knowing that I have a 35/50Watt switchable ballast? The D2S under 50W, or the DL50 under 50W? What about under 35W?

Where can I go for the cheapest price for the DL50?

Will it blow a fuse more easily although (i believe) they are the same voltage, just different wattage? Will it kill the ballast?

phyhsuts

Enlightened
D2s and DL 50 are essentially the same I suspect. The DL50 has a much shorter life precisely because of that. I am not even sure Philips still make the DL50.