Walking the dog in the forest

DucS2R

Enlightened
I walk my great (yeah they are all great) dog every day, I prefer the 30 acre forest behind our house as he doesn't need a leash and he loves the freedom. Well I have an extraordinary set of lights or I wouldn't be here so I took him for a walk in the forest in the dark tonight. Main was a Malkoff 61 MD 2 SHO with hi lo switch and for bad stuff an Olight 95 UT on a strap. It was great, I finally got to use my lights the way they were intended to be used, the the woods are really different at night. I have walked in the High Sierra in the middle of the night with the moon up, but I live in the East now and it is completely different. Well we both had fun, lots more spiders at night (yuck) but other than that I think I will do it every night. I am very lucky to live on the edge of a forest, but I have enough lights to outfit two Infantry units, so I am happy to find a fun way to use them.

Just another flashlight nut.

T

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the woods. Especially at night, almost magical. However I agree that the spiders and the webs are nasty, the only thing I dislike about being in the outdoors. What do you think about the M61 SHO? Can you tell if the beam is tighter then the xpg?

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
I usually save my nighttime wood hikes for the fall when the cold keeps the spiders at bay.

In West TN you spend more time looking for the webs than you do walking.

DucS2R

Enlightened
I find,the M 61 SHO to be brighter and a bit warmer than the standard 61. Definitely not tighter and exactly the same amount of spill. The center beam is considerably brighter but the same size as the 61 and a little less of a sharp distinction between the center zone and the spill. I like it a lot.

Sounds like three of us are from basically the same region. I live in north central WV about 6 miles from the PA border. When I lived in the west I never used a tent when I camped, have never camped in this region without a tent. Have you ever seen a wolf spider? Shudder. I used to camp in the west and hear real wolves howling, never bothered me a bit.

That is a good idea about the fall, my favorite time of year by far. I used to hike at night in the west in winter too,should try that at well. You see a lot of nocturnal wildlife when the leaves are off and there is snow on the ground.

Cheers,

T

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
What you need is a good dog light.

7778930624_af952a3d58_z.jpg

Last edited:

LightCrazy

Enlightened
You live almost directly south of me. I live north of Pittsburgh. Welcome to the east. I would love to get out west of Ohio sometime and see this beautiful country. I 50 years I have been yo Canada, michigan, lived in NY and travelled to Florida, but have never been out west.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL @ the husky light. Looks like they had a dog bone in mind when they designed it!

My dog loves the woods behind the house. Too bad I'm scared of spiders :p