Do you ever go on trips and take multiple lights to test them?

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where I now live, after moving from my previous home(sold it), its not a very good place to test lights out. I live on the end of a cul de sac, and I have houses all around me. Plus, there are 3 orange-ish HID street lamps out on the street in front of my house, and lots of trees in back that block me from measuring throw. So the only way I can now test my lights are to leave and go somewhere else. Thats a pain at night after dark, after you've gotten off work, and now its 9pm.

So I am trying to plan a backpacking trip for some time in late September or early Oct, but I have not narrowed down my final destination, so it could end up being anywhere from the AT in Northern Shenandoah natl park, to western North Carolina south of Asheville. Thing is though, the trails are much more difficult in NC on average, with much higher mountains and much more elevation gains. So I dont know what I'm gonna do yet.

But I want to buy one of those head lamp bands that have like 3 stretchy loops in them where you can mount flashlights in 3 different places. I think SWM or ZL makes one, or maybe its Fenix, I've forgotten. But I was thinking that since I'm not doing my usual mid-winter backpacking, which means you have to bring LOTS of gear with you because of the high altitude cold, and since it will still be late summer/early fall, I can take much less gear, which will leave me more room, reduce weight, and allow me to bring a few lights with me, so I can test them at night on the trail! I can shine from one ridge to another in pitch darkness, or from the top of a ridge to the bottom to evaluate throw, etc. Maybe I'll bring a few AAA lights, an AA light, 2 CR123 lights, and an 18650 light. Which ones though, that is the question?:thinking:

Does anyone else ever take one or more lights with them on trips to test them?

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes I do. I'm going camping and I will take a M6LT and a Fury with me. But the light I will use most is my trusty Tikka XP2.

Love your avatar, reminds me of the move "Failsafe." B58 Hustler correct?