Question for ld 12 owners

bushmattster

Newly Enlightened
Does the LD12 suffer the same low mode loss as the LD22 with new 1.5 volt batteries? Can you use Li primaries with no problems?

lightwait

Newly Enlightened
I don't have a lithium to try, but with a fresh alkaline measuring 1.61 volts, low works fine. I do not recall anybody mentioning that problem on the LD12. Whether I have an alkaline or eneloop in the LD12, the low is still noticeably dimmer than the low on my LD22 running on eneloops even though both should be 3 lumens.

lightwait

Newly Enlightened
My LD22 runs perfectly (low mode included) on fresh Eneloops.
Eneloops do work fine. But there are quite a few reports of LD22's that lose low mode on fresh alkalines for a few minutes and possibly more than a few minutes on lithium cells. Mine included. Most people use eneloops so not a big deal, but certainly a disappointment for those that regularly use primaries.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
With 2 Alkaline or Lithium AAs, the combined voltage can make the LD22 go into direct drive mode, making the light loose the lower modes. LEDs have lower forward voltages at lower currents. With a LD12, 1 AA does not have enough voltage to cause this to happen.

bushmattster

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys. I'm getting one for my mom. She's going to Sumatra next month and I wanted her to have a decent AA flashlight. I tried to talk her out of it but she's as hard headed as I am. She's 78 yrs old.:shakehead

lightwait

Newly Enlightened
I really like the LD12 although I have been carrying my PD32 more lately. I think the side button setup is ideal for somebody that's is not used to fancy interfaces, very easy to understand. Great choice.