Basic, non technical Spark SL5-210CW review

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had started a thread asking for input on this SL5 series of single AA lights from Spark before I bought it, but apparently nobody owns one, so I didnt get any answers. So I ordered one after watching the few videos and the review.

This is a member of the SL5 family, which includes 4 lights that all look identical. The SL5-190NW and 220CW both have XM-L LED's, but one is neutral and the other is cool white. Then there's the SL5-180NW and SL5-210CW, which both use the XP-G, with one light in neutral and the other in cool white.

My concern and question related to the beam profile of these lights with either the XM-L or XP-G LED's. They all have small-ish reflectors, so I figured the XM-L would be VERY floody, and the XP-G would have moderate throw/flood. So I decided to go with the SL5-210CW with the XP-G. Here's the alleged specs: *Brightness: 5 modes: Super: 210lm 0.9hours Max: 180lm 1.8 hours Med2: 36lm 8hours Med1: 10lm 30hours Low: 2lm 86hours

So here's the good aspects: The SL5 series look a lot like the SL6 series, but smaller, so they look very cool. They must require a lot of machining for all the external fins, etc. It feels pretty tough. The gray anodizing seems well done. The clip can be removed, but seems tight and unlikely to come off easily. It doesnt get in the way of much. The light has 2 switches that both do the same thing, so you can use either switch to operate the light. The bezel screws off and the lens pops out easily once you remove the bezel for cleaning, etc. The light comes with a diffuser lens, but I'm not sure why you'd need it based on the beam, which will be covered under the "negative aspects". The light is well balanced, and it fits and feels pretty good in my hand, but not great. The tint is mostly neutral, and not very cool or blue. It has 5 brightness settings. Also, they have installed a sleeve into the battery compartment to give a tighter fit once the battery is installed, and the battery fits perfectly in there, with no rattle.

Now to the negative aspects: The switches BOTH occasionally fail to switch the light fully on. Some times when you push either switch the light will pop on momentarily, but then will go off immediately, so you have to push it again, and hope it stays on this time! It happens about 1/4 tries. The light is advertised at 210 lumens on its highest setting, but what they dont tell you anywhere, is that rating ONLY apples to 14500 batteries, not AA's. On the single AA, it runs at around 130-150 lumens tops. Thats not bad, but the advertising was deceptive, and nobody seemed to know the answer to that question, even the dealer! Its beam profile is strange and slightly poor. Its small-medium sized hot spot is very sloppy, and not very well defined, and not very concentrated. The hot spot blends into a fairly large corona of the same white color as the hot spot, but that corona fades into yet another outer corona, which is a different color. Its slightly greenish-yellow. That outer corona blends into the spill, which is medium sized.

So when you shine the light outside, the hot spot gives you very limited throw, and only moderate flood. Its no Zebralight SC600! There is no reason for the included diffuser. The beam already looks kinda diffused with a standard lens! Another thing I dont like is the thin threads on the head. You can remove the head, but it takes only about 1 full turn to remove it or to install it, so I wonder if it will really be waterproof, since there isnt much holding the head onto the body. There is an o-ring there, but......

However, aside from its fairly poor, sloppy beam, it works and it's relatively bright for an AA light, when using an AA. I have a 14500 in it now, and its high is noticeably brighter than with the AA. But it seems to do its job of illuminating what you point it at. You cant really expect TOO much from a single AA light, but there are definitely AA lights out there that are a bit nicer than when comparing beam quality, brightness on an AA, and quality of threads, especially on the head. The tail cap threads are OK.

Overall I'd give it a B- to C+. I will keep it, but its not my favorite, and in retrospect if buying an AA light specifically, I kinda wish I wouldve bought the Nitecore EA-1 instead. Or the Zebralight SC51.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spark is one of the brands which dont have much of a following here, that's my impression. not much talking, discussion or enthusiasm. i still think that they are manufactured in the same factory as Zebralight branded lights.
i have the feeling that only few brands really do sell well, and this doesnt even include Sunawayman. Niteye has been capped by us, seems like.

Thanks for the review.
Thanks to it, i wont bother about this brand any bit longer :)

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spark is one of the brands which dont have much of a following here, that's my impression. not much talking, discussion or enthusiasm. i still think that they are manufactured in the same factory as Zebralight branded lights.
i have the feeling that only few brands really do sell well, and this doesnt even include Sunawayman. Niteye has been capped by us, seems like.

Thanks for the review.
Thanks to it, i wont bother about this brand any bit longer :)

I was wondering about the possibility of Spark lights being made by the same co. as Zebralight. There are similarities.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used the Spark Sl5-210CW quite a bit last night, and its grown on me a bit. When pointing its beam onto a wall or ceiling it isnt perfect for sure, but it works well for an AA light. I do have the 14500 in it now, because I want to lower the voltage on both my Eagletac 14500's for storage, and its pretty bright on high with a 14500, at least 210L. On the AA its more like 140L or so. But thats the same brightness as mt Jetbeam PA-10, and I like it, although the PA-10 has a more concentrated beam and throws a little better.

But nonetheless the SL5 seems to do its intended job. I like that it has 2 switches that operate the same way. That way I can click whichever switch is more convenient at the time. The earlier problem with the switches not clicking the light fully on 1 out of 4 times has actually improved now, so maybe they both just needed to be broken in or something. Now they only fail to turn the light on about 1 of 8 times. It still doesnt feel quite as comfortable in my hand as the Jetbeam P or B series lights do. But it still feels pretty good.

At this point I'd raise its score to a B.

raphaello

Newly Enlightened
I don't own the 210CW but I do own the 220cw (with the XM-L diod) and I gotta say it is a wonderful little light. I don't know why yours appear a lot dimmer (than 210 lumens) but I have compared mine to Zebralight SC51 (which is rated at 200 lumens) and it seems to my eyes that it has the same power. The only difference of course is in the beam pattern (Zebra - more hotspot, Spark - more spill) but I prefer the "wall of light" on the Spark way better.

Spark is one of the brands which dont have much of a following here, that's my impression. not much talking, discussion or enthusiasm
I've always wondered about the same too :confused:
Since I sell flashlights, I own almost all of Spark's lights (ST5,SL5,SL5,SL6,SD6,SD52) and boy .... this company makes some HIGH quality flashlights ! Actually Spark and Zebralight got to be my favorite manufacturers :thumbsup:

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't own the 210CW but I do own the 220cw (with the XM-L diod) and I gotta say it is a wonderful little light. I don't know why yours appear a lot dimmer (than 210 lumens) but I have compared mine to Zebralight SC51 (which is rated at 200 lumens) and it seems to my eyes that it has the same power. The only difference of course is in the beam pattern (Zebra - more hotspot, Spark - more spill) but I prefer the "wall of light" on the Spark way better.

I've always wondered about the same too :confused:
Since I sell flashlights, I own almost all of Spark's lights (ST5,SL5,SL5,SL6,SD6,SD52) and boy .... this company makes some HIGH quality flashlights ! Actually Spark and Zebralight got to be my favorite manufacturers :thumbsup:

My only issue with the SL5-210CW now is the side switch. Its just too easy to turn on. You touch it and it comes on! Its not recessed completely below the surrounding metal, so I was able to switch it on by pushing the flat side of a ruler down onto it, and the button sticks up just enough to be switched on with like 1 gram of pressure. The back switch requires more pressure to switch it on, so I am thinking of sending it back for warranty work to replace the side switch.

raphaello

Newly Enlightened
My only issue with the SL5-210CW now is the side switch. Its just too easy to turn on. You touch it and it comes on! Its not recessed completely below the surrounding metal, so I was able to switch it on by pushing the flat side of a ruler down onto it, and the button sticks up just enough to be switched on with like 1 gram of pressure. The back switch requires more pressure to switch it on, so I am thinking of sending it back for warranty work to replace the side switch.

That is weird. It requires quite a lot of pressure to turn on my SL5 (both the side and the back switch). I've been carrying it as an EDC light for several months now and it had never turned on in my pocket or in my backpack.
Yes, I would recommend sending it for a repair.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the SL5-190w. Basically the same light, but with a neutral XM-L in it. The tint is the same as in the neutral XM-L used on the Eagletac D25 series lights.

The issue with the SL5's buttons sometimes working only partially or on momentary mode happens to me only when the tailcap isn't screwed in fully. If I tighten it down there's no issue.

My impression of the SL5
:
1. Beautiful neutral tint.
2. Very diffuse flood beam. Good for close-in indoor use, but no throw for outdoor use.
3. relatively large for a single AA light.
4. Not the best pocket carry due to relatively sharp crenelations at both ends, and because the side button can easily turn on in the pocket.
5. The side switch feels very comfortable in the hand. Similar to that on an SC51.

Overall a decent light. Well built and looks really cool. But for practical EDC use there are many other better choices.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
...Thanks for the review.
Thanks to it, i wont bother about this brand any bit longer
If you are in the market for a headlamp, I think you'd be selling yourself short. I have the 18650 headlamp model [ST6?] and it's great. Really well built, very bright, and plenty of runtime on the three lower levels, and not too big.

I'm a longtime AA light fan, I like their size & output. I have a lot of good AA lights, but when you want a lot of lumens with AAs you need multi cell lights. I've recently gone into 18650 lights, and for some applications, like the Spark headlamp, they are great.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are in the market for a headlamp, I think you'd be selling yourself short. I have the 18650 headlamp model [ST6?] and it's great. Really well built, very bright, and plenty of runtime on the three lower levels, and not too big.

I'm a longtime AA light fan, I like their size & output. I have a lot of good AA lights, but when you want a lot of lumens with AAs you need multi cell lights. I've recently gone into 18650 lights, and for some applications, like the Spark headlamp, they are great.

I'd like to own one of the Spark headlamps, but I dont need a headlamp right now, as I just bought the Nitecore headband that supposedly lets you intstall your EDC lights(24.5mm) into 3 different loops and use them as headlamps. We'll see how well that works, but if it doesnt, I've still got an older headlamp that does the job 'fairly well'.

One update I forgot to mention last night about the SL5-210CW is that the issue with the switches not turning the light on when you push them has gotten better still, and now its maybe 1 of 10 times that you have to click it twice to switch it on. So thats an improvment, but the top switch on mine is still way to sensitive, and I think I should send it for warranty work.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is weird. It requires quite a lot of pressure to turn on my SL5 (both the side and the back switch). I've been carrying it as an EDC light for several months now and it had never turned on in my pocket or in my backpack.
Yes, I would recommend sending it for a repair.

'
Really? Your side switch requires about the same amount of pressure to click on as the rear switch? Mine feels like a completely different switch. It requires so little pressure to click it on I am afraid to EVER use it as an EDC light without unscrewing the tailcap every time. Truth is, I have never carried it in my pocket for longer than 5 minutes or so.

darklord

Newly Enlightened

I have to concur with this. I was given an ST6-320 (earlier model) to test for caving - environments don't come much harsher. At the time I received the lamp there was no frosted lens option, and in big caves it lacked the necessary spill to light up your feet; it's very important to see where you're putting your feet in caves! I made a diffuser from the top of an Evian water bottle and some plastic from the lid of an old Kodak transparency box (remember them?!!). It worked but I lost the throw of course. I got home from expedition, lost the diffuser, but found that in smaller caves, where you're bent over and looking at your feet anyway, that I didn't miss the diffuser as much. But what did concern me was how long that delicate looking electronic switch would last.

I needn't have worried. My ST6 has been through several years of miserable digging/caving in the most appalling conditions (think liquid mud and grit), and that switch is as failsafe as the day I got it. It's really surprised me just how much hammer it can take. The rest of the lamp has been bombproof and hardly shows any signs of wear, just I can't read the ST6-320 legend very well now! It runs forever on an 18650 and I can't imagine ever needing more light than the 320 it throws out......ok, go on, twist my arm and I'll have a 500 ;)

I haven't tried a Spark flashlight as such, though based on the performance of the ST6 I'm looking at an SL5 to replace the Fenix LD1 I lost. (She was a tough old girl, too - before I lost her she fell down a 40m shaft, got washed down another 10m shaft, battered down a passage for 100m by floods, and was recovered from her underwater location nestling between some boulders 3 weeks later - she still worked fine!)

I'm sure a lot of these flashlights/headlamps are built well, but you can't own every manufacturer. I'm very impressed by both Spark and Fenix.

Hugh

MojaveMoon07

Enlightened
In the marketplace forum, someone posted some backyard beamshots comparing the SL5 and the SC51. For the time being these are the only beamshots I've found. Based solely on these, the SL5 seems like it has a more useful beam pattern because the tree on the left is completely brightly illuminated; in contrast, the tree on the left in the SC51 beamshot is dimly illuminated. On the other hand, it's possible this is not comparisong of apples and apples -- he specifies that the SL5 is running on 14500 but does not specify the battery in the SC51.

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sh...xAA-Cree-XML-Headlamps-amp-Flashlights-CW-NW-!

direct links:

SL5-220CW
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/roskile/bf/SL5CW.jpg

SC51
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/roskile/bf/SC51.jpg

MojaveMoon07

Enlightened
Also, gunga posted a question in that thread that has not received a response yet. In the first post of this thread, HighlanderNorth addressed the issue of no difference between high and max. But gunga is raising an additional issue of minimal difference between med2 and high.

"I just got my (RMA) ST5-190NW today. On 14500, the modes look good, on eneloop, I see almost no difference between Medium 2 and high, and again no difference between high and max. Is this normal or expected? I have to check again in a darker environment, but it doesn't seem close to 190 lumens..."

"Hmmm, I still can't see how this is 190 lumens. Maybe I got a defective unit? Do you see any difference between high and super on nimh? How about medium 2 and high? I see almost no difference between medium 2 and high and no change from high to super (using eneloop). Again, 14500 is good, 1.5V is not."

Last edited:

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was wondering about the possibility of Spark lights being made by the same co. as Zebralight. There are similarities.

Yes, I think it's apparent that both Spark and Zebralight both buy their lights from the same OEM company in China.
I think they do some work for Klarus and Jetbeam too. Possibly others, as well.