Just had the greatest flashlight moment!

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I spent the weekend camping with my family and a good friend's family. It was at camp Morning Star just east of Foresthill CA. We camped on the edge of Meadow Lake, an old mill pond actually. The night in question was during the new moon. My daughters and the two boys in the other family wanted to do a flashlight walk. No one except me was older than 5. I equipped the group with 2 E2Ls, 1 E1L, a 6P with a P60L, and a G2 with a Malkoff M61WLL. We hiked out to the dam and spotted low flying bats. It was incredible fun!

Later that night I dropped my E2L in the camp fire. I managed to fish it out before any damage occurred!

The E2L (3/60 lumen variant) is a really great camp light.

Thanks for sharing.

kelmo

eternity

Newly Enlightened
Cute story! I wish I got to do stuff like that! :)

I want to know more about the E2L in the fire. Was it in there for a split second, or more? I can see the head and body being able to withstand the fire for a short time, but i would think the tailcap button would melt.

Also, this got me thinking about the batteries. If I dropped a light in a fire should I worry about the batteries exploding?

BTW, where are the pics? :)

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The light landed in the coals. A quick grab and back it went. The second grab retrieved it. The tailcap boot did not come into direct contact with the coals and the light was hot to the touch on the fireside. Dummy me did not use the lanyard as I was stoking the fire. If it would have landed in the center of the fire it would have been toast literally.

My light unlike a non-believer at a Tony Robins seminar survived "walking on the coals!"

All 4 kids have put dibs on the flashlights when they get older.

kelmo

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
A true test of the Surefire warranty would have been to send in your barbecued light for warranty repairs !
Sounds like the kids had a blast.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
:thumbsup:

those E-series outdoormans are just about the perfect general use light. good low/high modes, and excellent runtimes