MATRIX 2

blademan

Enlightened
Went ot REI today and bought a Matrix 2. My initial thought was it would be a complete module in the head. Turns out it is a seperate bulb module in a stock PT reflector! The other surprise is the led is a side-emitter.
So far I like the light. I immediatly started trying the module in other lights. Surprisingly I like it in the matrix better than the lights I tried. The module is marked 2AA so I won't dare try it in another 3 or 4 cell light. The beam is decent and definately useable, not too tight not too wide. The color is a little blue but not bad. This will definately be a keeper just for the versatility of the bulb and I'm going tommorow to buy a tec20 to put this module in. Sorry I don't have beamshots but I don't have a digital camera.[Keep buying all these lights!]

B

Birmingham47

Got my batch in today as well. They're impressive. I'm anxiously awaiting the PT Impact XL and Yukon HL. You are correct. DO NOT put that module in a 3 cell light. You will overload it. When PT first announced these, I was surprised to hear it would be a 1w in a two cell. You picked a good one.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
While many believe it is regulated, I couldn't be sure if it's handpicked low vf 1w? No information is available at their web site. Anybody know?

Alan

B

Birmingham47

Talked w/ PT yesterday. It isn't regulated, but has a small step up. If you think about it, it has to. The Yukon HL that is soon to arrive runs for 44 hours on 3AA. The Matrix runs for 8-10 hours on 2AA. Big difference for just one battery. For a manufacturer, it's easier and more economical to use the same 1w in all their separate lights. They had to step it up. I originally thought the matrix must use some sort of 1w below 3 volts. But its a 3+ volt LED. This is according to my PT sales rep who checked w/ the engineers.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
If that is 8-10 hours on alkalines, that is pretty darn good! It remains to be seen just how much of that claimed runtime is at useful (for a headlamp) levels.

My interest being the Yukon HL and perhaps the Impact XL, is whether they can use NiMH and Lithium AAs, in addition to Alkalines.

Any idea when you might be getting them in, particularly the Yukon HL?? November purchase is out for me (cpu + ddr ram), December, is a maybe (Movie + dinner), with January most likely.

B

Birmingham47

Impact XL and Yukon HL release on Nov. 15th. I should have them by the 18th. I'll ask about the Lithiums. Stands to reason that they'd work with lithiums. The Matrix 2 does. Some of these are interchangeable parts. I'll find out for sure. We'll be here for you when you're ready to get them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for the info! I was worried about that, as Lithium AAs have a significantly higher voltage (1.83 vots). That adds up real fast: 3 cell = 5.49 volts, and the 4 cell = 7.32 volts.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could anyone compare Solo w EverLED and Matrix 2? My Solo w EverLED is pretty bright but I found that the beam is bit too tight on the trail - the center is too bright and periperal light is so weak that making a bit too harsh on my eyes. Will they use the exact same reflector?

Alan

bigred

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know how the PT Matrix 2 would compare to the Petzl Tikka in terms of brightness and throw? Thanks.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the 1W LA on the Matrix 2 would definitely outthrow the Tikka, or any other headlamps using just normal 5mm Leds, for that matter.