The Streamlight Propoly 4AA finally got an upgrade, its now putting out 100 lumens.

WDR65

Enlightened
I just noticed this on a retailer's site and checked the Streamlight website. I also did a search and couldn't find anything on it here. This light was a big deal seven or eight years ago. It was a heck of a thrower and used its forty lumens fairly efficiently. I imagine at 100 lumens it will make a great utility light and I have always appreciated the body shape. I have to wonder how many on CPF now remember this light and how popular it used to be as well as how many people waited patiently for an upgraded version. 100 lumens may not seem like much now but that's a huge increase in output and one that is long overdue for this light.

cccpull

Enlightened
Still have one of the old ones and still like it for around the house in the middle of the night. I don't know about you, but 100 lumen inside the house after just waking up is too bright for me.

Last edited:

WDR65

Enlightened
Cccpull,
That would be a bit too much. I generally use a Surefire U2 on its lowest setting for walking around the a dark house. I was thinking the new one would be better as a light for the map compartment of my truck, replacing my 2C mag with the old Magled drop in. In general I prefer lights now with at least two levels but in certain situations I don't mind a single level.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
This was a great light in many ways. VERY Rugged. Great throw and good overall beam profile. Common AA batteries.

Glad to see it get an upgrade. Is the reflector the same?

100 Lumens for a single level light will be too bright in some situations.

jbrett14

Enlightened
This was my favorite light years ago. LOVED it in every way.

This was the light that guided my small group of men through the Canadian bush back in 2005. We got lost after running out of creek water while kayaking at night, up at Wakami Provincial Park. This light did a wonderful job of lighting up the area enough for us to make our way to safety.

Unfortunately, it now sits at the bottom of a small gorge, 25 feet below the surface of the flowing water, at Whitefish Falls, Missinaibi Provincial Park. My guess is that it would still light up just fine if one were able to retrieve it.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like they put the C4 LED in there. (Not sure what that is). The 4AA PP was my first LED flashlight and got me hooked on the hobby. It was at the time very good with regulation. But I abandoned it a couple of years ago when lots of newer lights came out that were more efficient with the newer LED's and with the multiple modes.

Streamlight must be just catering to the emergency, fire etc group of users because this latest upgrade is still too little too late compared to what is available these days.

jbrett14

Enlightened
Streamlight must be just catering to the emergency, fire etc group of users because this latest upgrade is still too little too late compared to what is available these days.

Yeah, I never understood this, given that they seem to be a solid company with quality lights. Why not make them brighter with the most up-to-date LEDs? I don't get it.

I am just now reminded of an interaction I recently had with some DTE Energy (electric company) workers who came to our house to do a line repair. It was at night, and they had their company-issued Streamlights which were nice lights. When I inquired about their lights, they seemed proud to show me the brightness of them, until I brought out my JetBeam BC40 to show them. It was quite entertaining to see their reaction - WOW!, where can I get one of those, they asked. One of the guys was on his I-phone attempting to order one before they left our driveway.

Gaffle

Enlightened
The PP was my first cpf recommended purchase. Flashlight reviews also helped me out. Unfortunately my daughter was playing with the light in my basement and kind of hid it without turning it off. AA leaked and the light was junked. I would definitely buy the upgraded PP. Throw some LSD NiMH and you have a nice backup. Count me in :sold:

fishx65

Enlightened
I'm still using four bright yellow Propolys modded with Seouls for latenight deer tracking duties each season. I've been using the heck out of these things for years and have not had any failures. Even after all these years and many new torches, The 4aa Propoly is still my favorite!!!!

sgt253

Enlightened
I loved the black one I had, even though only 40 lumens. Could anyone provide a beam shot of the 100 lumen version? I would love to see what the new one looks like.

Regards.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are all right, this propoly was one of the first quality LED lights out there at a reasonable price. Quickbeam (and his awesome website comparing flashlights) used to have it as one of the top recommended options.

I no longer have mine, as I have been upgrading my lights I have been giving lights such as the propoly as gifts to friends and relatives.

For many uses, they are quite adequate, and they use "normal" batteries (AA, C). One of the propoly's with multiple LED's boasted very long runtimes and was quite tough. I gave that one to relatives who suffered from long blackouts.

From "mainstream" flashlight companies, I always thought streamlight was an innovative one, always trying new things and forms.

As to why only 100 lumens, I think it may be because they need to keep costs down to what normal customers will buy, and also to keep using normal batteries. Higher powered LED's run at top power, tend to need something extra, either using C123A's, or even LiIon rechargeables, or perhaps large numbers of AA or D's, and at that point they get large and too heavy for most customers.