Are there any UL certified 26650 chargers available.

Shadowww

Banned
Yeah. The only one being CellPro PowerLab 8 V2, if my memory serves me right.
If you don't mind >$200 price-tag and support for hundreds of possible battery configurations, it's your only choice.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
~

MAHA made a charger for "D" cells .... long ago ?

Model .. MH-C808M .. AAA/AA/C/D charger .

But it's NOT for Li-Ion ... only Ni-Mh .

Don't know of one for Li-Ion.

Places that sell 26650's should sell a charger .. No ?

Why sell the cells ... if ya don't sell a charger for em ?

What do those sellers recommend ?
~

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
Yeah. The only one being CellPro PowerLab 8 V2, if my memory serves me right.
If you don't mind >$200 price-tag and support for hundreds of possible battery configurations, it's your only choice.

That charger is not for non-technical people. Like all hobby chargers it requires some knowledge from the user.

For a charger with US backing, maybe the 4-sevens is a good candidate (I do not know if he have a UL certificate on it, but the one I have is CE marked).

Another way to go is the ML-102, it does not have its own power supply, you must use your own USB power supply. That removes a couple of hazards from the charger and with a dedicated LiIon charger chip I would expect it to be very reliable. I do not believe this charger has any markings (CE/UL).

Shadowww

Banned
Another way to go is the ML-102, it does not have its own power supply, you must use your own USB power supply. That removes a couple of hazards from the charger and with a dedicated LiIon charger chip I would expect it to be very reliable. I do not believe this charger has any markings (CE/UL).
The ML102 doesn't fits all of 26650's though, IIRC raised top/button top ones are not supported by it.

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
These batteries should not be used by people who don't understand the risks. Even if they are IMRs. If you short circuit one of these extremely high currents will flow and what ever you used to di this will become very hot and might burn you or cause a fire. The lower the internal resistance of the battery (IMRs especially) the higher the currents will be.

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
I looked at the charger I use for my self today and it is in fact UL listed but its the type that came with gator clips. If I could even find a high quality adapter ( something that holds that battery) that looks like that ML-102 housing, I could wire it to make it look pro.

The Driver,

I agree that every buyer should understand what they are purchasing and how to use it. I intend to include a letter or booklet about use and charging safety along with the batteries and charger. I am confident that most people will be well able to manage the risk factor. I just want to make sure that I am taking the necessary precautions to eliminate as much of that risk as possible.

Erzengel

Enlightened
If Your charger comes with gator clips, You can also solder a D-cell cradle to the charging wires.

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I looked at the charger I use for my self today and it is in fact UL listed but its the type that came with gator clips. If I could even find a high quality adapter ( something that holds that battery) that looks like that ML-102 housing, I could wire it to make it look pro.

The Driver,

I agree that every buyer should understand what they are purchasing and how to use it. I intend to include a letter or booklet about use and charging safety along with the batteries and charger. I am confident that most people will be well able to manage the risk factor. I just want to make sure that I am taking the necessary precautions to eliminate as much of that risk as possible.

The booklet is a god idea, but make sure that they actually read and understand it's contents. The most important thing is that nobody fools around with these batteries. If you have a good charger and only use them like your supposed to the chances of something happening are rather small.

anethema

Newly Enlightened
Not sure about UL certification, but the 4sevens charger does proper CC/CV, looks good, and can run off of USB, 120V, 12V.

https://www.foursevens.com/product_info.php?products_id=3142

Pretty sure it will do IMR or LiCo cells. (Has a switch for 3.6, 4.2V, also 1A or 0.5A charge rates for diff cells.)

Table of supported chemistries:

supportedBatteryTypes.png

And Sizes:

supportedBatterySizes.png

All from this review:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-Measurement-on-4Sevens-Single-Bay-Charger-V2

ZRXBILL

Enlightened
I was going to mention the SYSMAX Intellicharge i4, which accepts 26650 cells, but then after looking I see no UL logo or cert. mentioned.

mellowman

Newly Enlightened
the sysmax i4 charger is CE approved, a European equivalent of UL.

edit: also UL certification is voluntary here in the US while CE approval is mandatory in the EU.

Last edited: