Prevent poly carb from scratching

MadeInUSA

Newly Enlightened
I just had an idea of a way to prevent poly carb windows on peaks and the like from scratching. InvisibleSHIELD by ZAGG. The product us usually used as a screen protector for smart phones and in use, it has proven extremely durable and scratch proof. I just cut out a section of the stuff and applied it to the poly carb window of my peak logan. I am still testing it out to see if it warps, bubbles, or anything with the heat but I have a good feeling about this one. It might be the perfect solution! I will keep everyone posted.

Thanks

MadeInUSA

Newly Enlightened
I just wanted to post a follow up that this stuff works great. I have had no issues with warping, discoloration or any other degradation even with use with IMR16340 cell in the Logan for extended runtimes. I have now applied it to all 4 of my Peak Logan lights. Also, the beam is not affected by the film. I was a little worried it would diffuse the beam but that is not the case. I bought a sheet of the stuff for a smart phone screen for about $20.00 and could easily get 11 applications from one sheet.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's good material, it has held up extremely well on my phone. Curious how you cut it to fit a lens perfectly. I was just playing around with cutting some color filters for my light and found the tiniest gaps greatly impacted the beam. What's your secret?

MadeInUSA

Newly Enlightened
Nothing very high tech....I found a magic marker the exact size of the Logan window and used it as a stencil. I then cut them out very carefully using a 58mm swiss army knife (rambler) Then, using the tweezers from said rambler, carefully placed it on the window. There are very slight gaps around the window but since the Zagg is clear and the Logan uses an optic, the beam is not noticeably affected. I do have a small pile of scraped cut-outs from the trial and error process.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I'd be interested to try this, as the older SureFire lexan window replacements are now exceedingly rare, and I'd like to keep mine as good as possible.
Is there a store that might carry this item, or do you have to order it online? Thx,

greenLED

Flashaholic
Anyone tried to add one of those smartphone "hard skin" screen protectors? Zagg or Skinomii type of screen protectors? You could cut one to shape/size, and they're very tough.

MadeInUSA

Newly Enlightened
The Zagg Invisible Shield protectors for smartphones can be purchased at most big box stores. I think I got mine at best buy but have seen them at a number of other local retailers.

Illum

Flashaholic
Durable in wear certainly, but what is their temperature threshold? I hope its around that of polycarb... because some of my lights that uses polycarb windows run hot, like the venerable streamlight scorpion

ikeyballz

Newly Enlightened
the cheapest and best skins I have found for phones are from Skinomi (amazon is cheaper) and BestSkinsEver (Bestskinsever.com) if you guys were interested in it. These are like the ZAGG films which are "soft and stretchy" instead of the harder plastic ones. The soft stretchy skins protect things better in my experience.