Longest throw for $100

kinzli

Newly Enlightened
After reading Ginseng's philosophical treatise on throw, I think he's hit my nerve of wanting a super long throw light, not because I need it, but because of the geek factor, lighting up trees 500 feet away, etc.

So, if I give myself $100 to play on a long throw light, what would you pick? Something along the lines of something handheld (not a spotlight), 2C or 2D size light, I'm thinking Tigerlight, some sort of host for a N62 SF LA, Magcharger, Ultrastinger, or whatever?

If it's an easy and accessible mod, that's cool too. I've seen some cool mods for WA bulbs in various hosts, but I missed the group buys (ok, I was chicken).

So, what's the verdict? My gut is telling me to just buy a Tigerlight FBOP, but is that the best throw I can find for $100 in a production light? Anyone know approximate lumen rating for Tigerlights?

Thanks...oh, and so far I have an L4, PM6, Arc AAA and a G2.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maglite Rechargeable
Ultra Stinger
Tigerlight

I think that when we were out playing.. um, I mean testing lights in the park, the Magcharger had a longer throw than the Tigerlight. Not anything tremendous though. Brightnorm also posted his test results and the Mag did throw further. Again though, it wasn't a fantastic difference.
Pretty much any of those three will throw enough for you. Any extra distance of one or the other won't have any use. Maybe if you used a pair of binoculars you'd notice more of a difference.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M/C w/ stock bulb does outthrow the TL, but the TL produces more lumens. If you use a W/A 01160 bulb in the M/C, it throws even farther and becomes brighter than the TL. I've compared the two side by side.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Laser pointer - if you don't have a NEED for throw, it's just as practical and a heck of alot more fun, get a green one.

GregR

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
MC + WA01160.

It'll cost you more to step up to a SF turbo head.

Wilkey

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've wondered about the approx. lumen rating for a TL myself and I've spent some time researching it and looking at beamshots, etc. From what I know so far, and without having actually used it yet (It should arive today or tomorrow--YES! Can't wait) it seems that 275 lumens is a conservative estimate of its output. This is the number that Phaserburn quoted me, BTW, and he should know. Other people have guessed at 300-400 lumens, but I think that is a bit optimistic and could possibly be confusing throw and intensity with total light output.

The things that attract me to the TL are the NON-focusable beam, black III HA, gold contacts, NiMH rechargeable battery, short length (8"), and fairly long runtime (1.1 hrs.) Also, the owner of TL seems like a good guy, and CS reports have been very good. What I don't like is the long recharge time (10 hrs.)

I don't like focusable beam lights because they are NEVER focused right when I grab them, and go out of focus too easily. Size15s voiced this same sentiment regarding TL vs. other rechargeables, BTW. I wouldn't mind so much if the focusing was hard to do so that you could set it to your preference and forget it, but other than that, give me the fixed beam anyday. Just my preference, YMMV.

Hope this was of some help and GOOD LUCK! Whatever you get will be a blast.

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
target sells a 3 million candlepower dual beam spotlight for $44.95. It will dust any regular flashlight and it will probably take an HID spotlight to beat it.