Makita 18V powering a LED strip

grazza

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,
I am after some advice on a camping light I have knocked up.
I have a LED light strip to use camping, to hang under a tarp for use at night, cooking, etc.

I also have a Makita 18V (Li-ion) jobsite radio which I have added some 12V power outlets after installing a buck circuit to bring the 18V down to 12V. I imagine these Makita batteries will run the low-powered light strip for quite some time.

However I am concerned that there is potential for the light strip to drag the battery down too low and may risk damaging the battery. The buck circuit will cutout when the input = output so at 12V input. This may be too low.
I dont know the configuration of the 18V battery - perhaps a number of 18650's and I dont know if they are protected.

Any thoughts?
The Makita radio is really rugged and looked to be a good way of having some music but mainly as a portable power source for this light.

grazza

Newly Enlightened
And apparently (cpf search goodness) Makita use a number of 6 Sony SE US18650VT batteries which hybrid Lithium-Manganese Oxide (Li-Mn) and Lithium-Nickle Oxide (Li-Ni) cells.

redsfairlane

Newly Enlightened
I think you will find that those packs will have good internal protection, you should not hurt them, your lights will just sudenly turn off (as will the radio).

I would be really shocked to find any removable tool pack that was not so protected, just imagine using one of the lights that come in tool kits, the simple incan ones, the first time it went dim would be the end of your battery pack. I don't think any (major) company would make that mistake.