Help! - Flickering M1X

Timbo

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I have a Jetbeam M1X since I bought it there has been a flicker and loss of power if the torch is lightly shaken, not what I would expect from a torch of this quality, I did return it and it was sent back from the supplier stating there was no defect. I use the torch out at night walking the dog and at times the light goes off simply from the movement from walking and I'm left using my small AAA light. I've tried both CR123 and 18650 cells.
I have cleaned the threads and applied a little synthetic grease, also cleaned the contact point at the head of the torch.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as the light is currently confined to the drawer.
Thanks
Tim

Pöbel

Enlightened
It might be the switch. Put some tin foil into the tailcap - this of course makes it an always-on light but if the flickering is gone the switch is your problem.

Timbo

Newly Enlightened
Do I need to disassemble the switch? where do I put the tin foil?
thanks

inspirit

Newly Enlightened
the dealer should check up the defective light carefully. I agree with Pöbel, someting wrong with the switch.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do I need to disassemble the switch? where do I put the tin foil?
thanks

I think the goal of tinfoil is to put it at the back of the light so it shorts the battery spring to the body of the light bypassing the switch. If that solves the flickering issue then you know the problem is the switch.

Dr Jekell

Enlightened
In the tail-cap you will see a ring with two indentations in it, that is the retaining ring for the switch.

It is possible that the ring was not tightened properly, was cross threaded or worked loose causing the switch to loose contact with the flashlight when it is shaken. Your description of the problem is a sign of this.

You can use a pair of needle nose pliers to try & tighten it down.

Timbo

Newly Enlightened
I removed the tailcap and with some needle-nose pliers checked if the inner ring is loose, its fastened incredibly tighly and it won't budge. I've asked the company I bought it off if they could order me a replacement tailcap switch so hopefully Jetbeam/Sysmax will provide one.
Thanks everyone for your advice, I will keep the thread updated when/if the new tailcap arrives and resovles the issue. I hope it does as this is a great flashlight otherwise.