Does anyone isolate batteries?

Slazmo

Enlightened
Just wondering whether anyone isolates batteries in torches that are 'stored' or in a non use state...

I just put in 3 plastic sleeves between the batteries and contacts in my 2D Mag to make sure that there is no residual current being lost from the batteries while in storage.

I know it'll be a slight pain to 'bring to life' when I need to remove the pieces in a SHTF situation - just think that it'll do me good to prevent accidental clicking / turning on by the other half or the child - it'd be completely isolated and protected from turning on as its stored in the hallway nook with the BOB bag and the head is in a stubby cooler so you wouldnt be able to see if the light is on by anyone.

Any benefits that the enlightened would / could see from doing this?

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's called physical lockout.

If current is not flowing, there is no way of batteries losing power.

Mechanical switches physically disconnect the flow of current, so even if the batteries are stored inside the battery tube, the current is not circulating when the switch is turned off and, thus, no power is being lost.

Electronic switches, on the other hand, are always connected and, over time, will end up sucking the batteries down to nothing. This is called parasitic drain. This can be avoided, however, if the threads are anodized by physically locking out the head/tailcap and body, which will break the flow of current completely.

Maglite 2D uses physical switch, so there's no need to worry about batteries discharging when not in use.

What you should be more worried about your Mag 2D is the alkaline batteries spewing acid. They are extremely corrosive and usually end up with the light becoming inoperable.

Since Maglite's threads are not anodized, you can't physically lock out the light. What you want to do is to store the light and batteries separately. Simply tape two D cells together and put them inside a paper sleeve and, when the need comes, just take the connected batteries together and slide them into the light. That way, you can eliminate having to worry about accidental activation and acid leak--two birds with one stone.

Last edited:

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep many cells in plastic tubes until needed. Safe & secure.

fyrstormer

Banned
Just wondering whether anyone isolates batteries in torches that are 'stored' or in a non use state...

I just put in 3 plastic sleeves between the batteries and contacts in my 2D Mag to make sure that there is no residual current being lost from the batteries while in storage.

I know it'll be a slight pain to 'bring to life' when I need to remove the pieces in a SHTF situation - just think that it'll do me good to prevent accidental clicking / turning on by the other half or the child - it'd be completely isolated and protected from turning on as its stored in the hallway nook with the BOB bag and the head is in a stubby cooler so you wouldnt be able to see if the light is on by anyone.

Any benefits that the enlightened would / could see from doing this?
I think it's easier to keep the batteries in the box until needed. Alternately a snap-in "magazine" is good too, if you want something more secure than the original box.

Slazmo

Enlightened
yeh understand the switch differences thanks for clearing them up even further!

Within regards to storing the batteries - if I were to take them out - 'bye bye' they'd be used for something around the house by the child or the other half! You all know how it is ha ha... Touch the other halfs hand bag and I'm a gonner - just how it is...

Anyhow got me thinking - 40mm PVC tube with one end glued and the other pushed on tight with the batteries installed in them - basically two per tube (or however many you need per install) and they'd be water tight and humidity regulated with silica gel.

The batteries that are in the Mag at the moment are those from when I got it so there is no real way to store them outside of the torch itself - my new fandangle box of batteries is chock'o'block with freshies, so I dont want to start mixing them around.

We dont get Lithiums in Aus in C or D sizes and they'd be cost prohibitive by any measure - so leaky Alkalines it is... Well until the new Duracells with their leak proof technology finally make it to shelves.

fyrstormer

Banned
I don't know how it is, actually. Keep a box of fresh batteries in the hall? Possibly also demand equal respect for your property?

Anyway, the easiest way to store cells inside a light without risking "capacitative drain" during storage is to flip the batteries so they face negative-to-negative and positive-to-positive. Even the miniscule conductivity of the air inside the light won't be able to form a complete circuit with the cells if the cells can't even conduct electricity between themselves.