How to tell which E21 I have?

TOJ

Newly Enlightened
I have two Fenix E21s. I bought one in April 2011 and one in December 2011 from Amazon before I knew anything at all about LEDs. I'm a newbie, but I've been perusing the forum quite a bit over the last month or so.

Anyway, I would like to figure out which emitters are in my E21s. I don't even know if they're NW or not. I think they are, based on what I read in the Amazon listing, but I can't be for sure because sometimes the listings are a little off. For example, the listing where I ordered from says NW, but says 150 lumens on high. According to Fenix's site, a NW model should do 135 lumens on high.

If anyone knows how to tell, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
Both of your E21's should have the Cree XP-E diode in them. Same model as what I have. The XP-E is my preferred emitter for AA and 2 AA lights as it gives nice throw in a small package. Fenix actually just updated the E21 with a higher binned XP-E that hits 170 lumens now.

Edit: Somehow I totally missed that you were asking about being neutral or not. hk has it right, it will be pretty intensely warm, almost soft. If it looks "neutral" or white on a white wall next to another light then it's the normal version.

Last edited:

TOJ

Newly Enlightened
Or check your serial number of the light, on the fenix website; http://www.fenixlight.com/snen.asp

Excellent, thanks!

One is R2 and one is R3. Both XP-E. Is the difference between these two just lumens?

EDIT: Looks like R2 does 150 lumens, R3 is 170. R2 has a noticeable ring in the spill. R3 is just about perfectly smooth.

Last edited: