Can you guys give some feedback on my idea? Low cost service to benefit a CPF student

Tactikool

Newly Enlightened
Hey CPF,

I'm an EE Student here on the west coast US, and would like some feedback on some ideas that I have. I think it could mutually benefit the CPF community, and give me some more hands-on experience.

I have recently been working on some LED Drivers for a couple projects I was asked to do. These include a Mag-lite replacement, and an LED flood light. My driver of choice were just some NCP3065 SEPIC chips I had in my stash and I have a whole box of star LEDs coming in. XM-L, Luxeon Stars, and lots of assorted color varieties. (Ordering some different chips soon)

I also happen to have access to a machine shop in addition to my own EE lab where I build my projects, which got my thinking I could be of service to CPF.

Here is where I want your opinions, or comments. How do you guys feel about a low cost service that will help keep me building projects? My idea is that I can do work for you guys and receive expenses plus a small amount to go towards equipment, and future projects. This will help me become more experienced and contribute to improving my equipment.

The biggest issue of being a student is that funding is hard to come by, especially since I have not yet graduated. I refuse to let this stop me though!

I don't expect to jump in modding high end lights, or doing anodizing (hopefully in the future!) but I have a skilled machinist of which I can work under until I master machining and plenty of time. If I could get some potential fabrication, or EE projects to supplement my budget I would be one happy photon.

Currently I don't expect to be doing any MechE work for at least a few months. This way I can show you guys what I am capable of, and have a portfolio of my work. This post is really just to gauge interest and see what kind of ways I can get some supplemental income or experience!

Thanks for hearing me out, and I really look forward to what you guys have to say.

-- Tactikool