I have a 3.7 2200mAh Li-Ion battery. Is it ok for cree xp-g R5 led

evs

Newly Enlightened
I was thinking about making a light using the Li-Ion 18650 battery. Can I use it without a buckpuck as the voltage listed on the cree xp-g R5 spec sheet states the upper limit is 3.7. Do you think I'll need a currrent limiting resistor or can I go without one. TIA

välineurheilija

Enlightened
I was thinking about making a light using the Li-Ion 18650 battery. Can I use it without a buckpuck as the voltage listed on the cree xp-g R5 spec sheet states the upper limit is 3.7. Do you think I'll need a currrent limiting resistor or can I go without one. TIA
Keep in mind that when the battery is fully charged the voltage is 4.2 volts

kramer5150

Flashaholic
no you can't directly connect that LED to the 18650. Yes you will need a resistor or driver circuit in between to regulate current/power to the LED.

evs

Newly Enlightened
Id like to max it out at the 1500mAH that the specs say is the max but I was looking at the buckpuck that pushes out 1000mA but Im not sure the battery will be pk with it. Since the voltage on the battery fully charged is 4.2 volts and the 3021 needs a min of 5v. Is there a buckpuck that I can use with a 3.7-4.2v input with a constant 1000mA output.
If I do the math for the resistor Im getting .4ohms Does that sound about right? What wattage would it need to be?

Thanks (and enjoyin the forum, good stuff here :)
evs