Big lights/Lantern-style lights?

awyeah

Enlightened
So, my Dad really likes big flashlights for some reason. He really likes lights like the ones below - big, rugged-feeling, rubberized, etc. No Fenix LD20s for him. He's got a bunch of these lights, and they're all crap. Some of them, you need to slap them to get them to light up... most of them are incandescent, and even the big lantern-style ones just aren't that bright. Funny thing is, the upgraded iTP A3 EOS that I got him for his keychain is brighter and throws farther than most of these!

Are there any well-made flashlights with good emitters that are nice and sizeable, like these?

Plus... lantern batteries. ugh.

716769NBVKL._SL500_AA300_.gif
B004OSF0ZE.01._SX420_SCLZZZZZZZ_V150798554_.jpg

EDIT: Just realized I should have posted this to a different forum. Mods, please move to the "recommend a light forum." Sorry about that, and thanks.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get him a Maglite, and then buy a Malkoff drop in and reflector for it. Sturdy, rugged, big flashlight, with Malkoff goodness oozing out the front.

walterr839

Enlightened
If he has any Ryobi lithium battery pack tools
get him the Ryobi 25 watt HID

lantern style with a lot of light and a lot of throw for $50

LightCrazy

Enlightened
Your dad is still living in the days when I grew up. Back in the early 1970's my dad had the brightest light around. It attached with the srew terminals on top of those rectangular 6V lantern batteries. The light had about a 4" or so diameter sealed-beam lamp on one end, and the other end of the handle had a red light you could turn on. Probably in case you were disabled on the side of the road or something. I remember the batteries were expensive, and because of the times and efficiency of those bulbs/lamps, didnt last too long either. But man, as a kid with that turn on at night li looked like a laser that could hit the moon. I wonder what ever happened to that light?

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definitely get him a MagLite. Solid feeling, durable and reliable. And will easily out perform his current flashlights.

Both the 2 and 3 D cell units are as good as ever. Ok only 134 lumens, but plenty of usable spill and will out throw many more powerful smaller lights.

The ML100 is a more 'compact' offering and the ML125 more so with more punch. They might not be bleeding edge in ability or technology, but they'll be a darn sight better than what he has now.

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Might consider, if he has any on hand, an elekrolumens modified Fulton. Using two D cells in the military angle head combing with a 500 mah buck driver, and a xpg, you have LOOONG run time, pretty much everything proof. And still significantly brighter than a normal 2 D cell incan.

Or you might get him into a Fenix TK series. 40, 41, 45, 50, 60 and the big 70. All from about the size of a 2D mag up to whatever the TK70 would be compared to. The new stock mags are not bad either.