Newer Fenix - Side Buttons - Impressions?

awyeah

Enlightened
Many of the newer Fenix models have the grey buttons on the side. I've never used one, and I'm not sure how I feel about it (I really like the single clicky on my LD20). Those of you who have these newer models: What do you think of those buttons?

markr6

Flashaholic
Ahhh, I can't decide! I have an LD10 and LD22. I like some of both which is just killing me.

The memory and momentary on is a huge plus on the LD12/22. I really wish they stood on the tailcap like my LD10 though.

Then you lose the convenience of doing most functions with just your thumb like you can on the LD10/20 switch. I miss that when using my LD22. But since there's no memory feature on the LD10, my thumb is always getting a workout unless using turbo. If you want to frequently use, say, the medium setting, you're screwed. So frustrating. I guess the 12/22 wins in my book by a small margin.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like them. They probably won't replace lights with a more tactical (faster) tail switch. For ordinary flashlight use I find them comfortable and easy to use.

awyeah

Enlightened
They probably won't replace lights with a more tactical (faster) tail switch. For ordinary flashlight use I find them comfortable and easy to use.

That's what I was guessing. I guess I'll have to go to foursevens if I want a tail switch!

tam17

Enlightened
I'm not a fan of a dual switch fad. Make it as simple and durable as possible, with either tail switch or side switch, but not both. That piece of plastic (or rubber) isn't going to last in a regular pocket EDC duty, and AFAIK it's not user-replaceable either.

Cheers

lightwait

Newly Enlightened
I like the side switch a lot. I primarily use my lights as work lights for mechanic type work during the day. Lots of on-off cycles, so I appreciate the mode memory rather than clicking it up to a usable brightness each time. It really depends what you need the light for. If you need to know positively what level the will come on at, then its probably not the best for that use.

Inconceivable

Newly Enlightened
I just purchased a PD22 recently and tried out the side switch. I din't like it. It is not so much the side switch as it is the changing hand positions to turn on and off then switch modes. I know there are ways to hold it to do both but holding it that way is not comfortable. I like the new E35 interface where the side switch does all but I like single cell (not 18650).

Ezeriel

Enlightened
I agree with Inconceivable!.... loved princess bride...

anyway..

the E25 and E35, where the side button does it all... those are ok
but the LDx2 seems like a clumsy configuration to me.. but it does allow for a forward clicky

I always thought the LD20 interface was perfect... the only way I could make it better would be to add more loose mode light levels

Yamabushi

Enlightened
I have the PD22 and love it. I use an overhand grip and operate the tailswitch with my thumb and, if necessary, the side switch with my ring finger.

buds224

Enlightened
I don't mind it at all. I have the PD32 and having the memory and forward clicky is nice. Finding it easy as long as I keep the clip lined up with the 2nd switch. I also marked it with a piece of glow tape.

My only concern is not if it will wear out and tear one day, but when it will. Mine did not come with an extra rubber switch boot for the mode selector. Even if it did, how easy would it be to replace?

fatelvis

Newly Enlightened
I like the single tail clicky on myLD20 better than the new LD22. Simple is better.

SoCalDep

Newly Enlightened
For a true tactical, duty-type light (I'm LEO), I like a light that will always come on max. I purchased the PD32 and it sat around for a while because I found it "not appropriate" for duty use as a main light. I started playing with it more, and found it ideal for my main house/nightstand light. I can leave it on "low" sitting next to the bed. While the low could be lower, it works well for not messing with my night vision too bad in the middle of the night. If there is a bump in the night, or a need for max, it is a very simple three clicks on the mode switch to get to high, then the momentary tail switch works for tactical needs. It has proven to be a very versatile light, and I've grown to love it so much I just purchased an LD12 as a possible EDC and/or backpacking light.

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
I hate that they can't tail stand and that it is so close. Whoever decided to not extend the tail cap another 2mm should be fired.

ico

Enlightened
The LD10/20s UI are the same as the quarks and for me, that is ok but I have a hard time lending them since they are not that user friendly. I don't want them to just use the turbo since its runtime would suffer and when on the loose setting, its hard to teach them how to operate the light. Even with zebralights, they will just use the max mode.

The LD12/22 would be better since it has memory so when I ever lend it to people, they will be only using the mode I want because they will just use whatever mode the light opens with.

I know I can lend them some more user friendly like my E21 but that's the only user friendly light I have. I may not lend my lights to some but in desperate times, they will really need it so the 12/22 for me would be better.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like it...makes the UI less complicated. I turn it on, set the mode I like, and it stays that way after I turn it off and on again. If I want it to run on high all the time, it does, just like a single mode light. Some lights you have to press the power button several times every time you turn it on to get to the mode you want. I also find it very simple to change modes after it is on.

loquutis79

Enlightened
I liked it at first and it was one of the selling points for me. However after later purchases of a Klarus XT2C and the Eagletac D25LC2 clicky, I have come to the conclusion that all the functions of a light should come from one location. The dual buttons on the Klarus or the single button on the ET just make so much more sense to me. The Fenix, as fine a light as I feel it is, does not work for me as I find I need to change my grip all the time to change the level of lumens. The TK35 is fine because of the location of the buttons, but the PD32...not so much. Same goes for my LD12. Fenix makes great lights, I just dont agree with the switch positions on these lights.
I do like the memory feature however, and the fact that strobe's don't get in the way. Who uses strobe anyway.

kj2

Flashaholic
Just ordered a E35. Will find out, if I like it or not.
And I have a TK21, dont use it daily- but dont hate the mode-switch. So think, the E35 will fit me well.

Last edited:

arvetus

Newly Enlightened
I have the PD22 and the TK15. I don't use them as tac lights, but they work really well. I carry the PD22 with me everywhere and keep the TK15 in my truck...I like them. They are good lights. For all other tac lights, I carry my modded Surefires...

Latest posts