Thinking about buying my first ONE cell flashlight, I'm thinking about buying a......

SixCats!

Enlightened
Hi all,

I am SERIOUSLY looking (on line) at the new QUARK PRO QPL. Presently, I own a few AA (two cell) (and a AAA model) from Streamlight, Maglite and Klarus. However, this time, I'm looking at the 1X CR123 model due to it's higher HIGH output. I thought about two cell CR123 models but, all this talk about exploding cells kinda has me thinking that perhaps it would be wiser to just go with a one cell CR123 (at least for the time being). Besides, I'd like to experiment with the shorter OAL one cell for EDC. This much I know. I want a forward CLICKY, I'm not interested in a Twisty for an EDC light. This Flashlight MUST have a low LOW (i.e. Moonlight mode). I figure, all of todays Batteries are expensive and I would love to own a EDC that can squeeze the last bit of juice out of a cell and still produce useable light. I also love the fact that I can Lego the Quark to accept AA's by purchasing an extra AA body. I think this could be VERY handy in an emergency situation. Also, if I'm not mistake, CR123 Cells do well in the freezing cold ? I live in Maine and it will start getting COLD here in a few weeks. Last but not least, the price of the new Quark is very attractive. I really don't want to spend too much more than the price of the Quark. So CP members, do you think the Quark Pro QPL would be a good choice or, are there other Flashlights that I should consider that meets my (above listed) needs or is the QUARK PRO QPL the way to go ? Thanks for any help/suggestions.

Regards,
SixCats!

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like you have done your homework. I say go for it. I have found that if you don't like something you can always sell it. Thus I have gone through many a flashlight. I also like single cell lights. My favorite is the 18650 lithium rechargeable. One of the reasons I don't have a single cell CR123 light is that a 2 x CR123 light that can utilize a 18650 isn't that much longer but has a whole lot more output and run time...............plus I just recharge it over and over again.

I keep around several single AA lights. I only have one 2AA light. I've kind of skipped over the 2AA lights.

SixCats!

Enlightened
Hi hiu,

Thank you for your suggestions. I'll have to looking into the 18650 Lithium option in the future. Wow, only one AA two cell eh ? I really like my AA two cell lights. I keep one at the Bedside and the other in my Car and/or Carry Bag. I'd like to try a single cell AA as well. Ahhh heck, who am I kidding, I like all kinds of Flashlights but, I have limited money. I'd also like to buy a couple IN-expensive AAA lights such as a Fenix E01 and perhaps a ITP upgraded. But first, I like to get a few more opinions on the QUARK 1XCR123.

Regards,
SixCats!

SixCats!

Enlightened
Well, I just watched the Youtube vid. of the Sunwayman V11R. It looks like a nice light but, it list for quite a bit more money than the Quark. Besides.....I just don't know.....might Sunwayman's funky Magnetic Ring thingy be prone to problems vs. (what appears) to be more of a "simple/straight forward" UI on the Quark for an EDC ?

SixCats!

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well an exterior magnet will alter the output of the V11R ...but only if it's really close to the light, depending on how strong the magnet is.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would go for a single AA. One that could handle a 14500 for high output. Gives you options.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also...the SWM V11R uses a Cree XM-L U2...vs. the XP-G in the Quark, although the Quark also has an option for the XP-G2 which I would recommend over the XP-G....another thing, I'm not sure if the Quark can run on a rechargeable or not but the SWM can and if you get the adapter it will also fit an AA or 14500 as well.

Last edited:

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sixcats, if you're after a single CR123A light with a tail switch look into the Klarus NT-10. I have the ST-10 single AA and I like it a lot..........one of my favorite AA lights out of about 8 different ones that I have owned. I did notice thought that the NT-10 does not have as low of a low as the ST-10 does. I really like lights with external output mode switches rather than twisting the light on and off. Single AA lights work well with the XP-G. But once you jump up to the 3 volt region, then the XM-L looks to be attractive. The XP-G and XM-L are about the same efficiency down at the lower output levels such that a 1AA light can produce.

The Sunwayman lights are very popular and I've owned 3 different models. But I didn't care for them that much. Everyone has their likes and dislikes so hope no one takes offense. The V-series (variable output) are not as efficient as the 4 mode fixed output versions. I do like the ability to change output before even turning on the light. That is the biggest positive for these type of lights. But they are more pricey than others but not more efficient. And I didn't care for the ringy beam pattern that my V11R and M10R had. That probably soured me more than anything else.

I have found that the lights that are designed to run on a single AA light but will accommodate a 14500 (up to 4.2v) tend to not be as efficient as the lights that are simply designed to run on the 1AA. Sure they are a pocket rocket but it boils down to what is one going to use their flashlight for in the first place. If its to wow people with the smallest light then that works but the run time is poor and they get warm fast and there is always risk of damage.

Last edited: