Uncle Sam doesn't issue its finest, flashlights?

guncollector

Enlightened
Uncle Sam doesn\'t issue its finest, flashlights?

Okay, a few nights ago I had a very nice family dinner. Also there was my cousin (married with a newborn), who's a doctor and Navy Lt. attached to the Marines 1st MEU. He's shipping out to Kuwait shortly.

Anyway, we got to talking about--what else--the gear he's gonna be taking (rucks, guns, boots, etc.). Turns out, the Corps does not issue him a flashlight--he's got to buy his own!

He's no REMF. His assignment is only 1 ki. from "the lines", and its him plus one other doctor (and of course the squal-level "corpsman" [Navy/Marine medics]) servicing his 900-man battalion's immediate medical needs. And no flashlight?! I mean, at the very least he needs one to check his grutn's tonsils, dont'chya think? Did I mention, unlike other doctors with cushy assignments, he actually goes on the same "humps" as the rest of the grunts?

Anyway, out of familial love with a little patriotism mixed in, I gave him my best wishes for a safe return and my Surefire G2-YL (which I just happened to have in my coat pocket that night) to take with him. He can pay me back when he gets out of his hitch, and makes big $'s as an anaesthesiologist.

Anyway, I found it surprising that the USMC did not see fit to issue one of their two battalion doctors a flashlight...

guncollector

Enlightened
Re: Uncle Sam doesn\'t issue its finest, flashlights?

DavidW suggests:
Ron, if I were in the same situation as you I would also give him a light that uses common batteries and bulbs. Like a 2D Mag. And maybe a cheap penlight from Wally World so he doesn't blind the patients.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Actually, I thought of that. But seeing that we were at a restaurant miles from home, and the only light in my possession at dinner was the G2--I figured it was better than nothing.

He'll probably end up purchasing a 2D-something-or-other from the PX anyways, but at least he'll also have the relative power of the G2.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yah, Infinity Ultra, Mag 2AA + Badboy and/or Mag 2AA + Newbeam, Arc AAA. Maybe also the UK Mini Q40.

I'd vote for the Mag w/Badboy 400mA. Pretty bright, white, and you can use junk batteries. Would seem he could get ahold of AA batteries. Add Kroll tailcap and glass lens.

The Arc AAA is a nice form factor. Seems worth consideration. It's also small enough to be discrete -- won't attract much attention.

The Ultra isn't as nice of a form factor, but the runtime is very good and the batteries are probably easier to come by.

Maybe next time he's back you could get him a care package -- Badboy mag and an Arc AAA! :)

-john

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast

Originally posted by guncollector:
DavidW suggests:
He'll probably end up purchasing a 2D-something-or-other from the PX anyways, but at least he'll also have the relative power of the G2.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Ohh! Ohh! I bet they sell 2AA Mags there. Could you just drop a badboy, tailswitch and glass lens in a padded envelope and mail it to him? Heck, an Arc AAA too.

I assume they get mail at some point...

-john

guncollector

Enlightened

Y'know, if I hadn't lost my Arc AAA LE about 2 weeks ago, I'd have probably also donated it to the cause.

(Side note: I understand from Merri at Arc, tha the AAA LE is being reborn as the AWS-NAT-P and will be available in Feb/Mar 2003.)

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey, wait a minute! You belong to CPF and only had a SINGLE light on you?! Oh, the shame!

-john

guncollector

Enlightened

John N chastises:
Hey, wait a minute! You belong to CPF and only had a SINGLE light on you?! Oh, the shame!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">[Slight redfaced] Yes, I only had 1 light on me. See my post above yours re: loss of Arc AAA LE.

For the 15 minute drive back from the restaurant, I was "CPF-naked" (i.e. had ZERO lights "on me"). Fortunately, our family SUV had a Maglite 3D (with Carley bulb) in the back and Surefire 6Z in the glove box.

Tomas

Banned

I'm embarrassed for you, guncollector. One light?
wink.gif

We had a short power outage here NewYears Eve evening, so I handed out the lights I had on me at the time to the other revelers - two Opalecs, an Infinity, a BB400, and an Arc AAA. I kept the Arc LS and the Energizer 2 LED area light for myself.

We had a fine time even though I did get some kidding about "having enough lights."

Oh! I also turned on my flashing red 6 LED taillight and did one lap 'round the room with my LED lighted front wheels flashing away after they started kidding.

We only partied for about 25 minutes on battery power, so I didn't have to go to my apartment and dig out any backups ...
smile.gif

Take care,
tomsig01.gif

guncollector

Enlightened

Okay, with 3000-plus members, somebody here must be in the Armed Services.

If you're one of them, do let us know what they're issuing. Or even if you weren't issued a flashlight, what were those lucky enough to be issued one, issued?

Larry1582

Enlightened

One of my partners just retired from the Army Reserves. He was in a supply unit. He told me they were still issuing the angle head 2 D flashlights.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

i shudder to think of our uninformed military people going in with *ags.

guncollector

Enlightened

Larry1582 writes:
One of my partners just retired from the Army Reserves. He was in a supply unit. He told me they were still issuing the angle head 2 D flashlights.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'm not surprised they still issue the old military "crookneck" (MX-991/U).

Actually, for a $5.00 a pop (Ungle Sugar probably pays even less), its not a bad 2D flashlight--semi-rugged, comes with 3 colored filters, and has a utility ring built into the base.

From the few I've sampled--picked up at local military-surplus stores--they vary only in quality of the reflector. Some come with stippled/faceted reflectors making for a better beam, than the high-polish versions with resultant darkspots and rings.

I "hopped up" 2 of my old crooknecks with Carley #712's, and that definitely improved output and color. These 2 crooknecks are, in turn, thrown in the possibles drawer for use as loaners, kid's usage, etc.

A building-contractor friend of mine, after seeing mine, picked up a few dozen for his work crews who were always needing and losing or breaking their flashlights.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator

I would think that a ARC AAA with a green led would make a nice present to a front line military person. Understand that the green light is not visable through night vision devices.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,

I got out six years ago. I was issued a crookneck because I flew. I got nothing when I played grunt. Back then most of us carried AA M*gs. You also get to buy your own knife unless again, you fly and then you were issued an orange switchblade that also had a parachute line hook on it and you got a knock-off reject knife that looked likes a mini K-Bar. That knife was so bad you could sharpen it for 20 minutes (came with a sharpening stone) and it would lose it's edge if you threatened to cut something or inserted it back in the leather sheath. I purchased and carried my own K-Bar when I was with the grunts but in hindsight that was strictly macho, the K-bar is awfully big to EDC.

Back to the subject. I believe one of the reasons they don't issue a REAL torch to the regular troops is because it is small, expensive and would fall under the "controlled item" category. Meaning, it would be issued and must be returned. They would be "lost" in the field at an alarming rate and would create another bureaucratic nightmare. Getting batteries to power the lights is much easier but perhaps not for the 123 type. We found that if you buy it yourself you do a much better job of not losing it. One more reason could be they don't want the troops to have a light and that may even be the main reason. A doc in a tent is one thing but a grunt on the front line shining a light, even inadvertently could be disastrous.

That was 6 years ago, who knows now. With don't ask-don't tell, the PC crowd and a kinder and gentler military, the politicians may be concerned our young fire breathing devil-dogs may unfairly blind the bad guys before shooting them.

David

Alan Hsu

Enlightened

How about Luxeon LED mod for the MX-991/U?

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast

Regarding moding the MX-991/U:

It seems it would be fairly trivial to use one of Wayne's Badboys or Madmax modules, but it would look pretty non-stock. But it would be regulated and probably give pretty good runtime with 2D cells.

http://home.attbi.com/~theledguy/cpf_store/cpf_store.htm

Another thought would be to use one of Willie Hunt's LVR units and an upgraded bulb. I suspect there is probably enough room behind the reflector to tuck in one of the LVRs (they are pretty small). Track down a unit with a decent reflect and you'd have a stock looking unit with bright light and regulated output.

http://www.cs.indiana.edu/~willie/lvr.html

lvr3cp.jpg

On the other hand, someone catching wind of the LVR unit in there might wonder what the heck it was. Paranoids might wonder if it was a bug or some other illicit device. And the Luxeon... Well, it would probably look a bit odd.

-john

guncollector

Enlightened

DieselDave-

I hear you on the enforcement and concern regarding "Light Discipline"--a very valid point. However, in MOUT operations, its gonna be dark in many-a-building, so you'd think a flashlight will be needed at some point.

Re: Mods

I don't think its a bad idea, but whatever you make...its gotta be "grunt proof"--which is a pretty tall order for any piece of equipment. I just look at the circuit board in the pic above, and my mind can't but help start calculating its lifespan in a grunt's hand in hours (though I very well may be wrong on that one).

Come to think of it, I feel an Mr. Bulk LGI, or Ill Pill (same circuit board worries as above though) would be just about perfect for grunts in the field. Both are small, light, and run on ubiquitous AA batteries.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast

Supposedly the Willie Hunt LVRs are used a fair bit in caving which has a reputation for being very hard on stuff and they really don't like it when gear breaks. My assumption is that you could coat the LVR board and then silicon (or such) it in and it should be pretty rugged. These LVRs are used in Blackdiamond headlamps which have a good reputation for reliability it seems.

The Badboy 400mA I just got from Wayne was potted so I suspect it is pretty rugged as well. My main concern with a Badboy type module is futzing with the head. Might be worth while to epoxy the head closed so you are forced to use the tailcap. Dunno, perhaps others have a thought here.

Dunno about the Ill Pill (haven't been following it for a while).

I thought the LGI stuff wasn't regulated?

-john

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast

I got one of these Crooknecks, Im going to try to cut the spring so I can squeeze in this 6AA adapter and the 5D M@gnumstar bulb. Should be kick arse.