Did you ever own a greenish Preon/Mini/Quark/Maelstrom?

[size=5]Did you ever own a [u]greenish CW[/u] [b]4Sevens flashlight[/b]?[/size]

• [size=3][b]Yes[/b]. At least one CW was definitely greenish and i didn't appreciate it.[/size]

Votes: 50 44.6%
  • [size=3][b]Yah maybe[/b], but it wasn't too bad or i didn't care or mind.[/size]

Votes: 29 25.9%
  • [size=3][b]No[/b], my CW's had all a pleasant, satisfying or non-greenish tint![/size]

Votes: 23 20.5%
  • [size=3][b]No[/b]. I bought NW/WW/HighCRI 47's lights only / I never owned a 47's flashlight.[/size]

Votes: 10 8.9%

• Total voters

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you ever own a greenish CW 4Sevens or Olight?

Am wondering how many users are dissatisfied with the tint, especially XP-G R5 CW and XM-L CW, of their 4Sevens light. :thinking:
CPF has a couple of posts where Preon XP-G R5 or Quark X users complain about the greenishness of the tint, most notably when the light is driven with NiMH low voltage (Lo-Med-Hi) instead of LiIon voltage on Max. There is some degree of tint lottery with all kinds of lights and brands, incl. ITP, Klarus, Fenix, Eagtac and Sunawayman but i count more such :green: posts regarding 4Sevens lights with their standard CoolWhite offering. A year ago i bought a Quark X, which is immensely greenish even on Max with LiIon. I own almost 20 quality lights. None beats the Quark.

Let's count how many users.. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Since Olight factory produces Foursevens lights and there were several reports about greenish Olight S10, S20 and S10 Ti (see: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, ..), let's include Olight flashlights in the OP/poll too.

Last edited:

BVH

Flashaholic
Re: Have you ever owned a greenish Preon/Mini/Quark/Maelstrom?

Got a Mini123 XM-L when they first came out and tint was green enough that I never used it. Sits in a drawer.

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
Preon Ti 2 green tint. Terrible. Got only because of Ti.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually had a non-flashaholic friend describe the tint as green without me mentioning it to him. You know it's bad when someone who doesn't care about lights nor tint says, "ooh, the light is green!"

cyclesport

Enlightened

Got a Mini123 XM-L when they first came out and tint was green enough that I never used it. Sits in a drawer.

Me too. My Mini123x has the XM-L T6 and it's somewhat green...bought in 2010, before the company re-tooled. Not sure if the new fourseven's are better binned, it's my only 4seven/fourseven light.

Somewhat off topic but FWIW I have a (still current model I think) Olight M20S Special Ops Warrior XP-G S2 and it's so green it looks like it has a green filter! Greenest tint I've ever seen in any emitter. I hate the tint but kept it for a glovebox light just because It throws great and I really like the UI.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast

I too lost the tint lottery and own 5 4sevens green lights. The tint varies between minty green to traffic light green :green: :sick2:

Larbo

Enlightened

Every Quark I have except an R2 has a puke green tint, funny the other lights with a cool white are bluish and not green.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast

There were green XML's during the time it just came out. There's also a greenish Cree XPG S2 emitters which were also green.

ico

Enlightened
When I got my quark X AA2, it was green. Not that much but noticeable though. then I got a used xpg r5 that was way greener. It is still bearable and the good thing is it made the quark X look a lot whiter :p

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
I lied in the poll. I voted, "No, no green tint', but to be more accurate, it should be "Yes, most with slight green tint, but I didn't care".

I have to say I don't prioritize tint of colors enough to even notice it without someone else first pointing it out. But that's just me. All of mine are "acceptable" IMO, and they're only detectable in low brightness levels.

OneBigDay

Enlightened
Certain brands are worshiped by many on the forum and if you say anything bad people defend the indefensible anyway. :shrug: Never say never but I don't even browse this brand anymore. The funniest part is I'm not a tint snob. Who cares how nice the build or UI is if the beam is terrible.

I bought a mini AA and the form factor and output was outstanding, but the tint notsomuch.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Every 4Sevens light I've ever owned has always had a very nice bluish white tint. While I do prefer warmer tints, I have never found the tint of 4Sevens lights to be objectionable.

davecroft

Enlightened
Early in 2011 I got a Quark with a very green tint, was so bad I sent it back. Haven't bought another 4Sevens since so I don't know if things have improved since then. Have to agree with OneBigDay, at the time I posted on here about my experience and some people took it personally:shrug:
Got to admire 4Seven's brand loyalty!

Last edited:

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've bought around 7-8 Mini-123's or CR2's. All XPG's. Bought them as gifts, which allowed me to pick and choose which ones I would keep. Maybe 2 were keepers. I ordered them over a 1 year period. Not like I got a bad batch in one particular time span. Maybe the QC people at 4sevens are colour blind?

Danielight

Enlightened
I also got a Quark 123 MiniX last year. It does have a noticeable (although not terrible) green tint. Interestingly, that light looks pretty good outside at nighttime. :D

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe the QC people at 4sevens are colour blind?
i guess that basic QC is done in the Olight factory in China and then from there the units are shipped in ready-to-sell format to importers and 4sevens (Atlanta). I also guess that all shipped units dont get another round of QC. for sure the QC does not include rejecting fully assembled units if the unit's tint is greenish.

so the last QC round "could" be done by the dealers. for this, maybe one could ask the dealer (goinggear, illuminationgear, etc.) to unbox several brand-new retail packages for you, take out all the lights, load all the lights with freshly charged batteries, and then do a simultaneous white wall beam comparison and ship the one identified unit which has no greenishness or the least greenishness in the tint. actually i did that: i asked the dealers. but all you get is a "okay we will test the light in favor of you before we bag it". So, 1. you dont know if they really did the whole procedure as asked by you (unless the dealer is a personal friend whom you can trust 100% and who would never lie not even a bit to you!) and 2. i still ended up with unacceptably greenish lights plus mal-centered LED's. Wtf how come?
Either the dealers were color-blind, or were lying to me, or they picked and shipped the least greenish unit. In either cases the dealer should NOT have shipped the units .. because i was specifically asking him (or them, happened with at least 3 dealers from USA) NOT to ship ANY greenish light. Some larger retailers or distributors are honest enough and would respond with something like "sorry we cant follow your asked procedure and compare tints and pick the best for you, and we also lack time to do so, but please feel free to return the light at your cost if you are unhappy with the unit. we can ship a new replacement unit and hopefully the tint is better then!".

after having such bad experience with the words of 3 US dealers (yeah i got "their word", truth or lies - one wont ever know!, but their word was worthless anyway because i got unsatisfactory merchandise NONETHELESS!!!) i am done with trusting the dealer's word or their ability to assess lights by a final QC round. If one can afford it, you could buy a bunch of Quarks, identical model, pick the best business end and gift away the rest (=the greenish lights) to your neighbors, family or friends. This way you would finally end up with a satisfactory Quark unit, with no greenishness.

Last edited:

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's really not practical to expect a dealer to unbox several lights and test them for a customer before shipping. For one thing, that could increase their work load considerably, and secondly, the "rejected" lights will no longer have that "fresh out of the box" appearance for other customers (most people really don't appreciate receiving a new product that was obviously handled and repackaged before sale). Finally, tint quality is subjective, so even if a dealer does go the extra mile and test several lights before shipping, there's no guarantee that you and he will agree on which has the most favorable tint.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finally, tint quality is subjective,
tint quality is subjective if you have only 1 light, e.g. a normal-greenish Quark, as comparison light ("lightA") and you test your new light, e.g. another Quark ("lightB"), against it. then it is only possible to make statements such as "lightB is clearly less greenish than lightA".
but if you own a large array of Cree power LED CoolWhite lights (like i do) it is possible to identify, within your own precious collection, the light which is non-greenish. For example in my collection that would be (my sample of) the Klarus MiX6 with XP-G Premium R5. you can take such a light as reference light then ("lightR"), and gone is the subjectivity.

dealers have hundreds of lights or units in stock. i would expect that a good dealer owns such a lightR too, i.e. a reference light which has a best possible non-greenish tint. then he would not have to unbox several Quark boxes for a tint comparison.

if a dealer is honest and says "it is unpractical .. increased work load .. not fresh out of box .. yadda yadda" to find excuses, then i might be willing to accept the excuses and even the unsatisfactory merchandise quality, but it is unacceptable when the dealer claims to have checked the shipped unit (and one would have to take his word as final and as truth) and the shipped unit turns out to be "un-QC'ed" in reality/practice in the buyer's eyes. then i feel lied to, and lose all trust in the dealer's honesty.

Dishonest dealers who care more about their own money-making business than about fully servicing and satisfying their customers are the worst!

Enough rant. ;)

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
tint quality is subjective if you have only 1 light, e.g. a normal-greenish Quark, as comparison light ("lightA") and you test your new light, e.g. another Quark ("lightB"), against it. then it is only possible to make statements such as "lightB is clearly less greenish than lightA".
but if you own a large array of Cree power LED CoolWhite lights (like i do) it is possible to identify, within your own precious collection, the light which is non-greenish.
Even then there remains a large degree of subjectivity since not everybody perceives things the same way. You may look at two lights and say that one is quite obviously greener than the other while another person might look at them and not see any obvious differences.