RIP Neil Armstrong

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Neil Armstrong has passed at the age of 82.

I don't even know where to start. He was larger than life in his courage to travel to the moon and back. I still remember exactly where I was when he pressed the first human footprint into the moon's surface.

RIP sir.

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Just got the news. Somewhere I have a photo I took of the TV screen with him taking that giant step. I was so envious. RIP Neil.

Geoff

Imon

Enlightened
Neil Armstrong has passed at the age of 82.

I don't even know where to start. He was larger than life in his courage to travel to the moon and back. I still remember exactly where I was when he set pressed the first human footprint into the moon's surface.

RIP sir.

This is really sad.
I think the whole world, not just America, should be saddened by this death. Setting foot on the Moon is an accomplishment that we as humans should take great pride in.

Burgess

Flashaholic
I'll always remember watching our B & W television at 3am.

That was shortly before my 16th Birthday.

Phil828

Newly Enlightened
Maybe the only time I was allowed to stay up that late. A true hero.

sabre7

Enlightened
His humble and quiet handling of fame after accomplishing one of the all time greatest achievements in human history is truly unheard of in today's mad scramble to get a moment in the spotlight. The Eagle has landed, and may he forever rest in peace in heaven's Tranquility Base.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
This is really sad.
I think the whole world, not just America, should be saddened by this death. Setting foot on the Moon is an accomplishment that we as humans should take great pride in.

Well said Imon. This was an accomplishment for all humanity, not just the US.

Empath

Flashaholic
A couple of posts were removed.

RIP threads are intended to honor, and speak respectfully of those we've lost in death. Attempts to dishonor or show disrespect will need to be attempted in another manner or place.

neilarmstrongg.jpg
scaled.php

Mission Commander

Neil A. Armstrong, civilian

Personal: Born August 5, 1930, Wapakoneta, Ohio. Married, two children.
Education: B.S. in aeronautical engineering, Purdue University, 1955. M.S. in aerospace engineering, University of Southern California, 1970.
Spaceflights: Command pilot, Gemini 8 (1966). Commander, Apollo 11 (1969).
As an aviator in the U.S. Navy, Neil flew 78 mission in Korea. He received a B.S degree in Aeronautical Engineering from Purdue University in 1955 and then became a civilian test pilot with the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics (NACA). He made seven flights in the X-15 program (1960 photo), reaching an altitude of 207,500 feet. He was chosen in the second group of astronauts in 1962 and was assigned as backup command pilot for Gemini 5, command pilot for Gemini 8, backup command pilot for Gemini 11, backup commander for Apollo 8, and commander for Apollo 11 (first man to walk on the Moon). He was Deputy Associate Administrator for Aeronautics at NASA from July 1970 until August 1971, when he resigned to become Professor of Aeronautical Engineering at the University of Cincinnati. Served on the National Commission on Space from 1985 to 1986 and on the Presidential Commission on the Space Shuttle Challenger Accident in 1986.

NASA photo A11-37-5528 shows Neil in the LM after the successful completion of the first moonwalk.
neil1.jpg

~ Chance

TTK

Last edited: