ZL H502C goes swimming

skycamnz

Newly Enlightened
I had posted photos and results of a test with my H502 in a thread titled 'Attempted Drowing.... ZL H502C going down...' but the thread got wiped out. And when I went to rebuild it by using 'reply to thread' I was given the notice 'Invalid Thread Specified.' Ah well, here we go again by starting a new thread.

After Bolster had asked me the '$500 question... is yours waterproof?' thought I'd better put it to the test. There are a few who have found their ZL's aren't in spite of the specs saying IPX7.

Here are the photos I took of the process:

IMG_1893.jpg

IMG_1894.jpg

IMG_1895.jpg

IMG_1899.jpg

IMG_1906.jpg

IMG_1911.jpg

IMG_1913.jpg

IMG_1917.jpg

IMG_1930.jpg

IMG_1938.jpg

IMG_1936.jpg

I'd used warm water rather than cold thinking that I would get the bubbles appearing more easily. Around body temperature I'd say.

From start to finish, the lamp was submerged for approximately 30 minutes.

During the early part of the submersion, I noticed there were small bubbles (somewhat smaller than a match-head I would estimate) coming from around the bezel at around 30 second intervals. Not sure how long this went on for as I was getting more involved in taking the photos rather than watching the bubbles. In my original thread, a comment was posted that if air could escape the lamp, then water could get in. However, I was not entirely sure the air was coming from within the sealed part of the lamp. The question in my mind was whether the seal is between the glass and the body, or between the bezel and the glass. If the seal is beneath (which is my guess) then there may have been air trapped beneath the bezel that was escaping, so not coming through any 'sealed' section of the lamp.

After doing this test, I took the lamp into the shower to simulate being caught in a downpour, and clicked the clicky furiously.

Outcome.... my H502 is still still going strong with no sign of water intrusion.

BUT, I have another test in mind to simulate falling into a river while wearing the headlamp. This will be more severe than the 'carafe' test. Will post when I've got something more to tell.

mega_lumens

Enlightened
Thanks for risking your light to benefit mankind. :) Well, it's reassuring that the light is surviving the tests.

skycamnz

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for risking your light to benefit mankind. :) Well, it's reassuring that the light is surviving the tests.

While having a light and being able to make use of it will hopefully (!) never be a life and death situation, it's kind of reassuring to know that it is going to be up to the task of coping with the worst of real-life situations it's ever likely going to encounter. :)