Xeno G42 V2 - Problem when battery is low

arnstein

Newly Enlightened
I have a brand new Xeno G42 V2 and it is exhibiting an issue. I use this flashlight with 1x18650 protected LiOn battery. I have not tested with 2xCR123 cells.

After about 30 minutes of use (rough estimate) the flashlight does not operate at its highest brightness. This occurs when the battery still has lots of life in it. Not a problem. What is a problem is that I cannot get the flashlight to operate at its lowest brightness, either. Only the middle brightness works.

This issue is not 100% reproducible. If I mash the switch ten, twenty, or thirty times, I might be able to get the lowest brightness to occur.

This is very irritating. I am most likely to use the lowest brightness precisely when the battery is low. This Xeno is the most expensive light I have purchased so far. I expect more.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? I would like to know how common this behavior is. I have to decide whether I should ask for a repair from Xeno.

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
Faulty switch, poor contact, faulty electronics. Could be any one or combination of them. Try cleaning the contact points with rubbing alcohol first, more likely than not, the dealer/manufacturer would ask you to try that first before sending it in so you might as well. If its still the same, then I guess you just have to bite the bullet. If you got it from a local dealer, then I guess you paid them a premium for a reason now. If you only got it for like say... within a week, I guess its reasonable to ask a replacement. If you're dealing with the manufacturer directly, then you can enjoy the brotherhood starts with reliability. Let me know how smoothly did the warranty claim go, I'd be interested to know.

Last edited:

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have no problems with my Xeno G42 XM-L U2. I am using a single AW 18650 3100 mAh cell.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
AW protected 2200 mAh. My batteries are about 4 months old.

That cell is fine, it sounds like you have a problem with your particular G42 V2. Do you have any other 18650 to test it with?

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
Its always once I click 'pay' that threads like this crop up! My G42 V2 is in the mail, its going to be 4 weeks before I can test it though - Currently abroad and can't get stuff delivered here!

Do they not come with a spare switch mechanism you could try? Just to eliminate possible faults. I REALLY hope its not a problem with a recent batch!

GM

arnstein

Newly Enlightened
The problem just got worse. Now the problem occurs with a fully charged battery. I just sent an email to Xeno asking for warrantee help.

The flashlight does ship with a spare switch, but I don't think the switch is the problem. I removed the tailcap and used a piece of metal to complete the circuit. Problem still exists.

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
You've got me worried about my light now! I see you're one step smarter than I am with the diagnostics! Where did you buy the light? Hope Xeno can sort it out for you ASAP mate!

GM