You ain't nuthin' but a Hound Dog...great for walkin' the dogs!!

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Call me blessed - I have quite a selection of lights to choose from. Not as many as some 'power users' - more than others - but just right for me. One of my favorite uses for any light is the "Dog Walk In the Dark"...:) That use is what brought me to CPF a little over 3 years ago.

With 40+ lights in the stable, there are a limited number that are in the rotation for Dog Walk Duty, the top 5 shown below - left to right:

A test mule Niwalker NWK550 (torture test HERE);
Malkoff Wildcat (newest version) on MD4 body;
a new version Malkoff Hound Dog on MD3;
a Prometheus Alpha Blue Label (4500k MCE - the best beam of any light I own - reviewed HERE);
and my true EDC, the Stone washed gunner grip Cool Fall Spy 007 cool XPG (a light that is ALWAYS in my pocket, along with all other sorts of nonsense...;) Reviewed HERE)

IMG_7418.JPG

How about a business end shot?
IMG_7425.JPG

Make no mistake - they are all AWESOME for the task - from the Niwalker to the Spy, but I've decided that the most useful one of the bunch for MY dog walks is the Hound Dog. Why? Simple. Yes, Simple - the reasons and the design/function of the light.

Bulletproof Malkoff quality
A very, very useful 100 lumen (in my sphere with 3 RCR batteries) low that covers most of the needs
No beam artifacts - almost 'soft' in appearance and no harsh glare up close
An AMAZING 700 lumen monster throw with a simple twist of the head
Nice balance with the MD3 body
Good battery flexibility with the MD3 - 3 123s or RCRs - or 18350s...or a couple of 18500s (or 17500s for that matter.) A battery vampire on primaries, but don't ask for run times - I've never tested...just speaking from experience with other Malkoff lights.

The Alpha and the Wildcat give amazing, floody beams. The Wildcat would light a football field with a pure, snow white XPG2 tint... the Alpha gives that beautiful, pleasing neutral tint that so many love.

There are beam shots of all but the Hound Dog over HERE

But I just have to say, for simple utility with almost perfect levels, the Hound Dog is my new Dog Walking favorite. (Appropriate, right? ;))

One more business end shot, this time only the Wildcat and Hound Dog
IMG_7427.JPG

THANKS, GENE!! :D :twothumbs

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me, Malkoff is IT.
I don't mind that they are a little larger than most EDC lights. They just have it all, and are worth carrying.
No nonsense or bling. Just solid precision lighting instruments that are rugged and reliable.
IMO, it doesn't get any better than Malkoff. There might be fancier, brighter, smaller, bigger, cheaper, or whatever. But nothing better in an overall sense of the word.
Again, IMHO.

I have 3 Wildcats(all different versions) and a Hound Dog. I prefer the larger Malkoffs with the dedicated heads over the P60 drop-ins, but the drop-ins have their place in my Elzetta.
I'm about ready to get the M91A, though. That 750 lumens in my Elzetta would be nice.

Last edited:

Empire

Banned
:naughty:
You are under arrest for the murder of scout20
you have the right to remain silent, You have the right to an attorney, If you cannot afford one, one will be provided by the state of "flashaholictown,Beam 007, Heaven., Anything you say can and will be used against you in the court of law.
You have the right to um... Hand me over those lights for ..... SAFE KEEPING teehee:sssh:

Latest posts