OK WHO is actually making these lights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LightCrazy

Enlightened
I have never started a controversial topic, but it brings up a good point. I recently got my first Fenix light. I am very familiar with companies like Surefire, Streamlight, Maglight, Pelican, etc. This was my first purchase of what is supposed to be a high-end? light. So, I did my research here on the boards, and watched tons of Youtube video reviews as well. I could not help but notice that SEVERAL of the flashlights taked about on the boards all coe in the same box, with the same markings on it. The plastic tray that the light is packaged in looks the same, paperwork packaged the same, and the holster for each size light is designed the same. Any light holster I have ever purchased from the companies I mentioned above are all designed differently.

NOW, although the flashlights look different, which is great, is one company making them all for the other companies? OR, are several companies copying the same box, literature and holster design.

This question or point is not to put any company down, I think the Fenix light I got is very high quality! It just was amazing as I researched lights from different companies, how many items looked the same as I saw in the video before. Like I said, I believe these companies produce high quality lights.

Just something to think about.

ragweed

Enlightened
I think I have read on here that 3-4 Asian companies produce most of them. I also read that they will make any quality level you want from cheap lights to high quality lights. Of course you will pay more for high quality.

LightCrazy

Enlightened
That is kinda what I am thinking, just like some companies make stuff for regular US chain stores, etc. only to the store's specs. What got me was every new video I watched, I saw the same box and packaging.

ragweed

Enlightened
I have noticed that as well. I usually read the reviews here on certain lights I am interested in & they seem to resemble one another as far as outside design. Also I had several different brands that came in identical packaging with a few minor differences. I have never had much problems from them as far as reliability.

fiberguy

Newly Enlightened
You guys have me curious as to which specific brands you're talking about now...I can speculate about a few...

I think I read that Jetbeam, Sysmax, Nitecore are all the same? Something about 3 manufacturers either merging or being separate entities of the same company...

I feel like this is about something different though.

LightCrazy

Enlightened
I was just mentioning it as a general observation. I tried fenix lights because of advice on this forum. I am glad I did. I like the quality and performance. I can't wait to get another. I have never tried Jetbeam, that Suny company or a few of the other ones mentioned here. But... If so many flashlight pros around here say they are great lights, I have no reason to doubt them. They were right on with fenix. Maybe several companies found great deals at the same packaging and holster design companies. I do think that some companies could do a better job translating the directions to English.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most electronics today are made in China or Hong Kong; this would include high end products like Apple.

The key question is who engineered these products and what labor and product controls are in place.

fishndad

Enlightened
Most electronics today are made in China or Hong Kong; this would include high end products like Apple.

The key question is who engineered these products and what labor and product controls are in place.

That would be CHINA'S labor and production controls. Not a great track record with the labor end of that combo.
Many lights have already been engineered and they are pieced together like one would a solarforce.
Then you get your logo and name all packaged up. POOF your a brand.
I said it before and ill say it again.
The shiningbeam caveman and the quark turbo AAsquared look identical, not close, identical.
So to your point did either company engineer there light? Or was it pieced together from a catalog?
If 1 company engineered and designed there light than they have the most obvious case of copywrite infringement.
Since neither company has filed a suite than its clear to me.
They simply pieced together somebody elses parts. In china and 1 sells theres for alot less.
5,4,3,2,1 post deleted.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
That would be CHINA'S labor and production controls. Not a great track record with the labor end of that combo.
Many lights have already been engineered and they are pieced together like one would a solarforce.
Then you get your logo and name all packaged up. POOF your a brand.
I said it before and ill say it again.
The shiningbeam caveman and the quark turbo AAsquared look identical, not close, identical.
So to your point did either company engineer there light? Or was it pieced together from a catalog?
If 1 company engineered and designed there light than they have the most obvious case of copywrite infringement.
Since neither company has filed a suite than its clear to me.
They simply pieced together somebody elses parts. In china and 1 sells theres for alot less.
5,4,3,2,1 post deleted.

I like your 'tag': "Union Proud IBEW Local 683"

I am retired from the Machinists Union Local 1546 and a current member of the IWW (Industrial Workers off the World).

If ever there were a time for organized labor in our new 'Global Economy' to crank it up now is a good time to.

For those might not remember it was the IWW and others who gave workers the 'Eight Hour Day'. It was only this week to that the New York Times had an article that stated Apple's workers in China work 20 hours a week overtime making Apple products wihout choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.