D25LC2 as a headtorch

Dr O

Newly Enlightened
Hi, well after changing my mind many,many times over what to do with regards a head torch, I finally settled on the D25LC2. It was the narrowest 18650 powered light I could find.

I did have thoughts about modding the fenix headband with their bike light but Fenix were completely unhelpful although the more I thought about it it would have been too heavy and cumbersome anyway so I didn't pursue any further.

The D25LC2 fits fine- you would not want to get any wider or the clamp would struggle to close with the angle the screw thread needs and to give enough turns to make it secure.

Running it alongside an LD20- the tints are different even though both are cool white but I can live with it. The LD20 is over powered from the other light so I have aimed that at my feet and the DC25LC2 further out. I might change that orientation or just run the D25LC2 on its own- still playing about with the set up.

Added pics below so you get a better idea. I toyed with the idea of an H600 but QC stories put me off. I think ideally I'd like to mount a T20CS but it prob requires a bodge.

img20120821wa0003.jpg
20120826151816.jpg

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice....

I'm a camper and used to exclusively own headlamps, but have now converted over to just using flashlights on headbands - it's just nice to have your EDC do-it-all. I've recently been using a D25A Ti Clicky in NW on a NiteCore headband which utilizes the topstrap for holding the light. If I'm just using my EDC, I use a cord tied around my neck with the light resting on my shoulder under the ear. I have been quite happy with both set-ups for continuous hands-free use while camping. Also often use a nice tailstanding lantern attachment that fits in my wallet.

Only thing I must have have on a headlamp are good low modes like moonlight and a low single digit lumen - the D25LC2's 5 lumen low might be a little too bright for use in the real dark, and maybe the hotspot/beam a little tight.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
How comfortable is the Fenix headband if it is loaded with the 100g-heavy D25LC2 only?
How bad is the drag by the one-sidedness of the load?
Afaik the Fenix headband is nutnfancy's favorite headband :nana:

Dr O

Newly Enlightened
Nice....

I'm a camper and used to exclusively own headlamps, but have now converted over to just using flashlights on headbands - it's just nice to have your EDC do-it-all. I've recently been using a D25A Ti Clicky in NW on a NiteCore headband which utilizes the topstrap for holding the light. If I'm just using my EDC, I use a cord tied around my neck with the light resting on my shoulder under the ear. I have been quite happy with both set-ups for continuous hands-free use while camping. Also often use a nice tailstanding lantern attachment that fits in my wallet.

Only thing I must have have on a headlamp are good low modes like moonlight and a low single digit lumen - the D25LC2's 5 lumen low might be a little too bright for use in the real dark, and maybe the hotspot/beam a little tight.

I used to like headlamps but I think a flashlight in a headband is much more robust and has certainly in the past been brighter than the usual suspects like black diamond and petzl.

I looked at the nitecore headband but I thought I'd prefer the ability to angle the light while on different terrain.
For camping I have the clear 'wand' attachment for the LD20 and that gives a good lantern effect- I find it useful in the tent. You're right about the low mode on the D25LC2 - it's not that low.

Dr O

Newly Enlightened
How comfortable is the Fenix headband if it is loaded with the 100g-heavy D25LC2 only?
How bad is the drag by the one-sidedness of the load?
Afaik the Fenix headband is nutnfancy's favorite headband :nana:

I took the LD20 out and just left the clamp which for all intents and purposes is roughly the same weight as the battery container- both of which allow the top strap to be used. Putting it on you can feel the weight- I'll need to do it with just the LD20 as well to see how much difference there is. I didn't run with it so not sure if it would be enough to notice once going. With both, although the overall weight is greater it feels fine and essentially well balanced. I normally run anywhere between 5-10k with up to 1000ft of climbing and max speed of 18-23kph with no ill effect on my neck (the same can't be said for the rest of me lol) and find the lights hold well without any bouncing.
I think it's a great headband- only complaint is that the straps get loose too easily, other than that I think it's quite comfortable. I'll play about with configurations and weights a bit more and let you know.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info and further testing and sharing of your experience!!

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix says their headband clamps will hold 18-22mm diameters, but I think 19-21 is a better range.

Does you D25LC2 have the xm-l or xp-g?

Dr O

Newly Enlightened
OK, so tried the LD20 on it's own and it felt a bit heavy on one side as well- or it had the same kind of feel as the D25LC2 on its own. Note that this was without the battery holder and just had an empty clamp on the other side.

I decided it would be a good idea to weigh the set up so:

1 eagtac 3100mAh 46g
1 eneloop 2000mAh 26g
fenix headband clamp 35g
fenix battery holder 52g
fenix strap 29g
D25LC2 and 1 eagtac 94g
LD20 and 2 eneloops 112g
LD20 60g
D25LC2 48g

Actual set up weight 305g

I'd assumed the LD20 was lighter so was surprised it was actually heavier. Was also surprised at the weight of the empty battery holder and the overall set up weight when everything taken into account.
I've run fine with the LD20 and battery holder in the past and given it's heavier I see no problems in swapping out for the D25LC2.
It's probably ok to run with the empty clamp on one side although I think I'd prefer more weight.

The way I look at it is that I used to run with an old petzl duo which is not light and even the HP11 is 284g with batteries. Whether I am as keen to strap a T20CS to my head now I am not so sure.A T20CS on one side and a D25LC2 on the other would be 264g+99g for the clamp/strap=363g. Certainly couldn't blame lack of light for going slow- the weight maybe:laughing:

Last edited:

Dr O

Newly Enlightened
Additional update and a slight aside is that Sunwayman have emailed me to say the narrowest part of the T20CS is 21mm diameter which means it would fit the clamp. Awesome, though I may need a bigger neck given the stats above lol

Latest posts